@#%&$#@ Slip bobber knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by riddleofsteel, Sep 25, 2006.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have been trying to tie a decent slip bobber knot on braided Fireline for a couple of weeks now. I have tried all the tips on the videos ect. to no avail. Mono, teflon tape, cotton string, all seem to slip leaving my bait on the bottom and the bobber on the surface.
    :sad2:
    I have been reduced to using a split shot to hold the bobber and that leaves me casting 10 or 15 foot rigs.

It sucks.

Ideas??????

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I had a similar problem and now I only use store bought strings that are on the plastic tubes but I soak mine before I put them on. If you dip it in water for a few seconds or two so that the string gets saturated and then put it on your line good and tight it might work for you. I have never tried fireline but on every thing else I've used I have to watch how tight I get it after wetting it or it won't slide very easy and at times will break the line it's so tight. Keep us posted on what you find that works for you. Good Luck!

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    David,

Something you might try is two, yes count them 1, 2, bobber stop knots. The pressure of the two knots pressing together should keep your rig from slipping.

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Hey Guys , I Use Whats Known As "a Sure Stop" For All My Bobbers And Lines, Use To Use The String Stops But Found That The Sure Stops Are Better,and They Can Be Reeled Onto Your Reel Without Causing Problems. Hope This Helps

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    When I have a whole lot of trouble for one reason or another, I go to my last resort of just cutting my line at the point I was trying to put my bobber stop at, and then tie it back together and check the know VERY carefully after to make sure it won't break. I have done this many times and it does not seem to make a difference in the strength of the line or anything.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That works~ Permanent, but works!
    Nice idea~

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, once you put the knot in your line you can't undo it or anything, but they way I do it is, I have a few poles I always use for slip bobbers and a few always for bottom fishing.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Fellas, why don't you try using a simple uni-knot, with about 5 or 6 passes through the loop? It works great for me. I use some old timey braided nylon line, but if I don't have any with me, I use a piece of 50# or larger braided, about 6-8" long. Make an overhand loop alongside your main line, pass around the main line and through the loop about 5 times, pull snug gently, then tighten down on your main braided line and trim, leaving a short stub on each end. Tighten gradually and test for slippage as you go. If you get it too tight, it will be a lot harder to slide up or down if you need to. I use powerpro and never have any problems with this method.

9. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    try useing a wide rubber band just cut it in two pieces and tye it on, it worked for me and its adjustable so you can slide it up are down your line

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have done the same thing it works well , but you have to remember to take a new rubber band every time you go out due to dry rot

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    O.K..... I give up... whut's a sure stop...?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand we'd be so simple we couldn't understand.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think it's the brand of a special type of bobber stop.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use a drop of super glue on the slip not, it is kinda hard to move when you want to move it but it wont slip.

14. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    David;

A bobberstop knot is real easy to tie but the biggest problem most people have is using the wrong line in my opinion, I make and sell slip Bobbers and I have tried all kinds of stuff to tie the best knot with and I am sold on using EMBRODERY YARN. You can buy the small skeins of yarn at WalMart in the Notions dept for about 65 cents. Take about a foot of it and lay one end and about 2 inches of yarn on the top of your braided line and make a loop down and lay the other end on top of your line going the other direction. Take one of the tag ends and go around your line and yarn and thru the loop about 5 or six times then pull on the two tag ends and tighten it up, Clip the tag ends off leaving a very short tag ends with a fingernail clipper, Get the knot wet and it will be killer tight but you can slide it up and down the line with some effort, It will work beatifully.

My 2 Cents;

Gene

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Haven't tried embrodiery thread, but the stuff sold as bobber stops commercially doesn't work for me. I've gone to using a piece of mono, 30 lb for me. I tie an over hand not, but run it through about 5 times, pull tight. It works and doesn't slip. Wet the line before pulling tight. May have to get some embrodiary thread and give it a try. Know my way around sewing notions pretty well, my mom did alterations and was damn good at embrodriary herself. It was my task to go to the cloth store and get what she needed.

16. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I don't use wide rubber bands but I have used very small rubber bands. The only trick is to use high quality rubber bands like they used to (or still do) use on kid's braces.

17. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Rubber bands work well, but I use smaller ones and tie two knots,one right beside the other. Goes through the reel guide and doesnt seem to hurt casting any. good luck and good fishing.:cool2:

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Where do you get those rubber bands, Jim? Last ones I bought cost about $3500. :eek:oooh:

19. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    If you double your line and tie a simple knot. Place a simple peice of floss in the remaining loop and pull tight. When you pull the foss, you will be able to remove the knot. This is really helpful when fishing from the bank and fishing 10' of water. I've posted on this in the past and when used with a plastic bead with a hole slightly larger hole than the line is a killer. slips thought the guides, doesn't undo the knot

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Hey, that's cheap. My daughter's are more around the $5,300 mark! :haha:

In shallow water presentations, I just loop my line around a small plastic bead that my daughter had among her abandoned playthings. The bead slides up and down easily enough, but holds well too.

I use a double drop rig, with a bell weight at the bottom and a small float at the top. The slip bobber is above the small float, with the bead above that. I don't reel in the small bead, but use the slip bobber to concentrate the weight toward the end during the cast.