Slip bobber fishing fishing on upper Potomac River?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Oct 20, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    When SpeciallibXO & I were out last Wednesday, we saw several large cats roll on the surface which would indicate to me that at least some are suspended. Has anyone tried fishing for them under a slip bobber? If so how did it work out and how deep did you have your bait.

Thanks to Tim & everyone on this forum for turning us on to the Potomac. SpeciallibXO & I live in Waldorf and were getting pretty tired of driving 225 miles back and forth to the James every week. If you see us on the water stop & say hello - we're always looking to learn more.

- Tawn
    21 ft Carolina Skiff with "Special Liberty" on the side.

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    I have used slip bobbers b4 but in shallower water and drifting. Also used them around the wrecks in the south part of the river. have not done much suspended bait fishing except for stripers. We catch mostly stripers when we do but do catch a cat or 2. Most of those fish rolling are carp and gar. Could be cats but my $$$ on carp and gar for a majority. If they come out far enough you will be able to see the outline of those big scales on the carp. The gar usally rip thru the surface. The river is flat full of both of them.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I do suspend bait off rhe bottom sometimes 4 to 10 feet and have done very well with bigger cat. The way i see it is there is so moch grass in the river the sometime i think the bait gets down in the lass to hide and the cats can't get to them.
    I use a small bobber and set 4 or more of line passed the keep this seems to work in them spots where the grass is bad..
    I will be out on the river saturday and sunday till around noon if your out stop on by.

4. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey there in Waldorf! I live in Mechanicsville and work in Waldorf. I've had great success with slip bobbers on Lake Gaston, but I haven't made it out on the Potomac to give it a try. I would think it's best in the hottest of summer where the fish are concentrated in the thermocline. At the lake, I had most of my success fishing the channel edge where the channel depth was usually around 40 ft and the bobber was set for 10 - 15 ft. I'm currently making some large floats to handle the heavy egg sinkers that you would have to use to keep the bait directly down. I would love to get out there if you need an extra body in the boat. :smile2:

I'm the supervisor for Verizon Wireless in the Waldorf Circuit City. Stop and say hello sometime.

Mike

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mike is exactly right, we did pretty good with the slip bobbers on Lake Gaston this summer but the action on them has slowed down some now and we are catching most fish on the bottom, the few runs we have gotten on the bobbers now is when we set the bobbers around 20ft deep while in the summer we had our bobbers set from 10-15ft deep as Mike described.

6. ProVer

ProVer New Member

State:
    Germantown, MD
    I have seen Blues feeding at the surface in over 40 ft of water. If your fishing from a boat it's best to crank up one or more rods to hold in different portions of the water column. Several times I only caught fish on the rods that were suspended way off the bottom. Slip floats are a real good way to suspend a bait. Don't not use them.

7. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have trouble here in the Potomac with a slip bobber due to the current moving so quick that my bait will not stay at the depth that I want it and rises close to the surface with the current. Maybe I need to find a bigger bobber and use more weight to keep my line verticle in the water. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

8. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    I could see where fishing deep with a slip bobber would be hard in a lot of current. That is why I only use them in shallower water. When we use to chum for big blues in the bay we would just use different size egg sinkers and no bobbers with a big piece of cut bail. You just guess the depth by the angle of the line and how much you have out. Run some heavier and short and some lighter and longer.