Sling Shot for casting???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Krauseb, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had this idea the other day ... why not use a 1 to 2 oz. weight and a 2/0 snell hook baited with whatever you want. Set your pole in the rod holder and press the release. Grab the weight and bait together in the sling of the sling shot and fire away out into the water.

How far out do you think you could get it out there? I haven't tried it myself but was pondering the idea.

If any of you have any other ideas about getting maximum casting distances please feel free to share. I've tried the 7' pole and rocking back and forth before casting, but I can't get that to work for me very well. Right now I have a golf ball with a very small eye-screw in it rigged up like a sinker. I can get this out there pretty good, but it makes a gawd-aweful splash when it hits the water.

thanks,
    BK

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Casting distance is better with a longer rod. I bank fish with 10-12 foot rods. What is the size line you are using with the reels max diameter? Are you using a spinning reel on a casting rod? I use shorter rods when I'm in a boat because I don't need casting distance. If you are using a bait casting reel the brakes might be too tight. The reel might just need a good cleaning and oiled up a little...just some things off the top of my head.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    im with you betlei have 3 12footers a 10 and 4 7 footers i use each accordingly sometimes casting distance isnt as important as LOCATION

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Good reply from Beetle. With a decent reel you should have no trouble casting, even with a 7 foot rod though longer would help. What type and brand reel do you have and what size line? I think with the slingshot you are taking some chances. Even if you get it out there a good ways, what happens if the line tangles in the reel or fraps up on one of the eyes? Either the line will snap or the whole rig will be in the water...W

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Krause,

If you are using a baitcaster and just learning how, the best thing to do would be to look in the BOC library. There are several articles in there about casting a bait caster.

Then, get out and practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!!

The more you practice, the better you will become.

I know there are people here who have been casting a baitcaster for a long time, and they can cast over 100 yrds.

Another option, do a google search for Competition casting. You can learn a TON about how to sling your bait out there that way.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    your best bet would be to get a bigger rod , keep that 7' er for the boat but get a 12' for bank fishing or you can try placing a 5 gallon bucket of water behind you and lower your weight down in it then cast from there , lifting the weight from the bucket will help load up the rod for a extra boost on the cast .

7. Krauseb

Krauseb New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well lets see some people have asked about my set up ... so here it goes:
    Reel: Zebco 733 HAWG (closed faced)
    Line: Mono 15lb

So I guess my bright idea of a sling shot isn't so bright eh? LOL, oh well, I guess the electro-magnetic bait railgun will have to be put on the back burner.:big_smile:

8. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    why not a potato gun attach bait to potato n launch that thing across river..lmao

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    There's yer problem. With a 733 you aren't going to get the distance cast that you could get out of a 808 or 888, let ALONE the distance you can get from a baitcaster. Also, with the 733 the pendelum cast is VERY difficult to get the timing down right.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yup ya gotta get a long rod and a bigole baitcasting reel like tdawg said practice practicepractice but dont be discouraged i built some beautiful birdnests before i got the hang of it

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just for the sake of conversation, what would happen if you did use a slinshot and immediatly following the release, you realize (much too late) that the hook is imbedded deeply into your thumb at 300 feet per second?

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

LOL...Thats what i was thinking to

13. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio

Or if you forgot to open bail? Bet it would come back real quick?Or worse yank your rod out of holder into water:lol:

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Or just snap the tip of your pole off real quick, then you would have a broken pole

15. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    can you say, ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, holy $$@@ ^%!@%^%@$!$^%@%& @#^@%%%^@%@%^ %@^!%!!%$!!^ !%^!$$%!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just a couple of points about casting long distances.
    1. Spinning or casting, as the line peels off, resistance increases, slowing down the line more and more. With spinning, it's because the lip at the edge of the spool is increasing, and so is friction; with casting, the spool is having to make more revolutions to peel off the same amount of line...again, more friction.
    2. So, generally speaking, a spinning reel with a large diameter spool will let you cast farther than one with a smaller diameter spool. The same thing applies to a casting reel, but only up to a point; that's the point of diminishing returns. It takes energy to get the spool of a casting reel turning, and using a reel with a spool larger than necessary is going to cut distance from your cast.
    3. Lighter line will let you cast farther. My problem is that where I usually need to use a really long cast, anything less than 50# test is considered ultralight unless you're in a boat and can chase the fish. If you can use light line and have trouble with a heavy sinker breaking off during casting, you probably need to put about 15'-20' of heavier shock line on the end of your light line. That way, the heavier line is taking the shock of casting, while the lighter line is letting you cast farther.

17. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Your idea of a slingshot is not a new idea. Several years ago I read an article about a man fishing for sturgeon and he was using a slingshot to get to otherwise unreachable places. He had built a large slingshot in the back o his truck, and if I remember correct he was using 8oz of weight. He also said designing a pouch to hold and release the weight was a problem. He also said if anything went wrong the weight came back just as fast as it had left. He was using spinning reels. He made his out of surgical tubing. grizzly

18. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have Daiwa 13.5 surf rod with 7000C reel (spinning). If you forget to undo the bail with an 8 oz sinker you can get some real distance but it snaps the line with loud snap and real hard jerk.:lol:

19. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bad idea for casting but I have heard of them being used to spread chum... Just dont like the idea of my hand being that close to the hook at high speeds could end up real nasty...

20. darklight825

darklight825 New Member

State:
    pa
    I've had rocks smack the side of my sling shot and hit me in the face. It hurt, imagine doing that with a hook.