Slimy Bait towels....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious if anyone had any reccomendations on Bait Towels, right now I use various old house towels and stuff like Golf towells but the probelm with them is that after 1 trip of using skippies, you just cant get the funk out by washing them/rinsing them in the river. Shad, I can use several times by doing a good job of rinsing it before i leave the river but the skippies stink so bad and slime up the towels so bad that if you try to rinse them, they still have the slime on them and will stink up the boat pretty bad in my garage so I wondered if anyone had any better luck with say a synthetic towel or the Sham-Wow or anything like that. I am strictly looking for something skippy-proof!!! I guess I am interesed in hearing what you guys all use out there on your boats??

Salmonid

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    well good luck my friend .....we do not have skippies here..... just shad and similar baits..... But we do have mackerel.... and they are almost as as slimy as barracuda.......I soak my rags in a bucket of water, and then later they are recycled into grease rags....

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just buy the packs of "shop towels" from autostores or wal-mart and toss them when they are nasty. You could probably bleach them to re-use. For me with the amount of nasty crap you get on those towels I count them as a cost of doing business.

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have bought fresh mackerel before at Jungle Jims in Cinci. Nobody prolly believes me but those fish smell a lot worse than skipjack or shad. Hands down, they are the nastiest smellin fish Ive ever smelled. By the way, we caught some blues on it before. Ill be honest I was told by some paylake guys they worked great so I tried it. The other thing thats nice about it is they arent scaley so no scaling necessary.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What's wrong with running them through the washing machine????

We do it and have not noticed any foul effects on subsequent loads of laundry. Trust me.....my wife wouldn't do it if it stunk up the washing machine or the dryer. She's funny about that stuff.

Just make sure to wash them before they ROT and get really foul.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I too buy the bales of small white towels (about as big as a shop rag) at the hardware store. Must have about a hundred. I chuck the dirty ones in an old landing net hung in the barn and when it's full take em to the laundomat and wash them with bleach and rinse with baking soda.
    Always have to throw a few away from each wash load but just replenish the boat from the clean pile for each trip...W

7. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Ah just use your hands and wipe them on your pants like I do.

8. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio

I hear ya.. I chum up about 10 pair a year.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am with Skip on this one i do the same thing put them in the washing machine

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I just use my bare hands and wash them off in the water real good then have an old t-shirt with me that i dry my hands with and works fine:big_smile:

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I either use rags I get at a paint store, an old T-shirt, or some rags about 15 in square that I got long ago at Price Club. They are cheap towels but come in a bale about 4-5 in thick. They are cheap, and work, can be thrown away or washed.

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Just don't get any Like Skip (S_man) He carries a pink one with him. Says; It's so no one else will use it. lol... Sorry Bro; Just had to put that one out there...

13. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i use an old hand towel and also use the disposable shope paper towels as well. i think a pack of those is about $15 for a can of like 200 or something like that , they're pretty absorbent and i can use em to repeatedly wipe the windshield off.

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I wear rubber cloves when handling and cutting my baits, but there are times when i don't, I usually rinse my hands in water before i dry them off. But as far as rags go I simply throw them away when they get nasty

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You all need to go fishing with me. There ain't no towels, maybe a roll of crap paper for an emergency! Any that slop you get on your baby skin needs to be rubbed on the pant leg and done with! I suppose you all wear gloves to land your fish too?:roll_eyes::smile2::wink: And you call yourself fishermen! Shame on you! :smile2: Hell, I even throw the fishing clothes in with the ole ladies just to get a normal azz chewin! :big_smile: rollo

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I ust get the rolls of blue shop towels in the auto department at Wal-Mart, Meijer, Auto Zone, whatever. They are thicker and tougher than regular paper towels, and cheap enough that I don't worry about wasting money throwing them away with the rest of my garbage. The texture of the towel and it's material do a much better job of wiping off greasy, slimy, slippery stuff than "Bounty" or "Charmin".

HAH, rollo, I don' need no crap paper...read the last line above. :smile2:

17. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know when i get home from fishing with skipjack my wife tells me dont touch nothing go straight to the shower you stink lol .

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I couldn't tell ya what brand my wife buys, but sounds to me that if you use that on the boat, you probably have a box of sandpaper at home!:eek:oooh::wink: rollo

19. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I use those Blue Micro Fleece towels from Sam's club, they are great, I vacuum pack about three to a bag, and because they are vacuumed they will store flat in the boat taking up very little space, I just open a bag and three are ready for a weekend of fishing at the end of the day I rinse them out with water let them air dry and can use them on the next trip then toss them away. Use them to clean up everything on the boat...............Doc

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If I need a new towel for fishin,,, I just go into the Guest bathroom at home, and take those,, heck, they're brand new,, and work GREAT!!!:wink:

And,, there's always new ones there when I need one or two!!!!:smile2: