Slimiest Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishinphenom, Oct 7, 2009.

Which species is the slimiest?

1. Blue catfish

2. Channel catfish

3. Flathead catfish

4. Bullhead catfish

5. All the same

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I dont know if this has been asked before but just wondering which catfish you guys think are the slimiest?

I vote Blue cats... they seem to leave the most slime on my line..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    It is different from one lake / river to another . When the water temp. is high the channels seem to be the slimiest where I fish .

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i voted bluecat. i really havent caught many flatheads or channels that were very slimy, but them blues will sure let you know where they been..

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The absolute worst ones that I have caught are the Channels. I have only caught 1 Blue as far as I know, so I don't have enough of a sample size. Although, the one I caught wasn't very bad at all.

All I know is, that I caught the worst one of my life earlier this season. It was a 10 pounder and was so bad that it looked like I had put my hand in lard, after I released him. I don't know what his problem was, but I do know that he needed a bath real bad.:big_smile:

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Never really found any of the cat species overly slimy.The worst fish I,ve ever found for pure unadulterated sliminess are those buffalo fish.Takes 10 minutes to get the friggin slime off your line,leader,swivels and net.Something in that slime too,you can throw a cut piece in the water and the damn turtles won,t even touch it!Slimes so thick,you can push it back down your line and end up with a gob the size of a golfball!:angry::crazy:.

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Blues, although it does vary by body of water.

In the river where we catch mostly bullheads, some channels, and a few blues, none are really all that slimy. In one lake where we usually catch channels and a few blues, but this year caught almost all blues, they are worse, but still not that bad. In another lake that's stacked full of eater blues, the slime is horrible. All three places are in the same river system.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I voted the blue cat. I also agree that it depends on the water they are caught from and the time of year/Temp.

8. festus

festus New Member

I voted for bullhead. Maybe it's because I've caught more of them out of an old nasty cattle feeder pond and the water was the temp of bath water. The only other fish I've ever caught out of there was green sunfish, and they were pretty nasty too.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    bullheads for me

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree, X2

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    All of them feel like equally slimy boogers to me,not that im an expert on slime or anything lol:wink:

12. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I feel they are pretty much the same-but I agree some lakes are different than others and the temperature makes a difference, seems like the warmer the water the slimier they can get. I have fished in rivers and have slim hanging off my line but it could of been caused by something other than a catfish.
    :big_smile: