Slimetime tomorrow on Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Mar 4, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    It's probably going to be muddy with a lot of "floaters" tomorrow, but I have a good shot at getting off of work and the weather looks good, so time to try out the new boat since I had the repairs done on it. New trim system, new fuel lines and carbs cleaned.

I have another preacher friend joining me, so Heaven only knows what will happen. We'll pray for some divine guidance. :roll_eyes: New years the water was the color of a dirty penny, and the cats were hungry. I hope they are again. If anyone is coming down, I'll be between point 21 and 23 in a gray and black CC with a Merc on the back. I'll be the good looking fellow in the boat.:wink:

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    The good looking fellow.:smile2: Hey good luck. I will have to wait until Friday before I can go.:sad2:

3. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    hey!! just so you know, the lake is up over 2 feet from all the rain we got..and they have been pulling water also..good luck!!

4. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Steve,
    I just talked with a guy that was on murray yesterday and he said it was bed with all the stuff in the water. Now he was down at the lower end at the dam it might not be as bad at the 22 to 23. He also said it was at the 100 ft mark. I'm guessing that he saw that on the side of the intakes down there. Anyway just a little more info for you. Be safe out there tomorrow. You might need that "Divine Guidance"

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys.

I thought about going to Monty instead. Scott, do you have bait now? If so I might go try Monty instead. My home line is down, so either respond by 2:00 today or call me afterwhile.

Steve

6. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i,ve seen stuff floatin all over the place. boat docks, boat dock parts, paddle boats,tree limbs,etc.etc.!! be safe if your on Murray...

7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Wishing ya lots of luck Steve.:wink: Smack one for Pop Pop!

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Consider it smacked Pop pop.

9. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Good luck Steve and be careful out there

10. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Good luck steve and lay the smackdown.:wink::smile2:

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Hope the new boat runs perfect for ya bro.!:wink:

As far as catching any fish.............well, repelant applied!:eek:oooh::wink::smile2::smile2:

12. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Okay guys, I'm back. The water is indeed up, into the trees on Murray. Lots of debris floating around. It was stained, but not as bad as I had figured. I could not have asked for a better day weather-wise. We hit the lake about 8:00 and fished till 5:00. The bit was non-existant for about 3 hours, then turned on for about an hour and then stopped again. We boated 6 fish in that hour, 4 flatheads and 2 blues. The largest was 16 pounds, nothing drag screaming. I am suprised at the number of flatties I have been catching on Murray. Those buggers are mean. I have flathead rash on my knuckles from a 10 pounder now.

Everything was caught on shad and hearing, drifting in 35 - 40 feet of water. The wind was fickle, changing directions several times, and totally dead part of the time. I tried deeper and shallower drifts, but with no luck.

The boat worked good. I love the extra walking around room. The Merc is slow to start, but runs great and strong. That motor has always been slow cranking since new. I have fallen in love with the Auto-pilot trolling motor. It works great when the wind dies. I set up 6 rods out the back, point the motor where I want to go, set the pilot and the speed, and sit back and wait for the bite. No constant fiddling with the heading. When I have wind, I like using the socks and fish out of the side of the boat. I bought some more socks so I now have 3 36" socks that I can use.

Several strippers were seen running shad through the day, but I couldn't get them to take my bucktail jig, the only lure I had on the boat. I saw the birds flocking several hundred yards off and a bunch boats at it. I heard one man say that the bite was hot for strippers yesterday.

I have to work a breakfast at the church Saturday morning, so if I get to go Saturday it will be noon or after before I can go. It may be worth it though, a 1\2 day on the lake is better than no day at all!

God Bless All,
    Steve

13. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report Steve, Glad ya got some battle scars and slime.:wink: