Slime Time on Murray today

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Oct 3, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    First solo trip since my heart attack in June. I had a great time, just me, a few geese and 15 catfish in 4 hours. The largest was 17lb 3 oz blue, the smallest a 7lb 15 oz flathead. The wife's family wants a fish fry, so I kept 8. I got 1.5 gallons of fillets out of those 8 for tomorrow's fish fry.

Caught most of them on the flats in 30+ feet of water. I did get several flat heads in the stumps in 18 - 20 feet. everything was caught on herring, some cut, some live. Sorry Pat, no takers on the magic scrimps this time. I got a couple of pix on my phone, but don't remember how to download them. Not great pix anyway, just fish in the bottom of the boat.

The stripers were running shad like crazy today. Everytime I found them breaking, I caught cats under them. Both were after the same meal.

I filleted the cats out by the boat, but had to leave the bucket of bones and skins setting there till after dark due to the yellow jackets. Hundreds of them and I'm alergic to them. Now I've got a blasted buzzard circling the boat. Maybe the bees will keep them away. My wife says the cat smell is going to keep her away if I don't hurry up and shower.

God Bless All,
    Steve

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Sounds like lots of fun! :wink:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats Steve! Excellent trip. I'm about to start on Murray myself, and maybe we can hook up like last year. Thanks for the report.
    Pop Pop

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Steve - sounds like a great trip! Bet I know what went wrong with the scrimps: you wasn't lick'n em right :smile2:

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for the report Steve,I am gonna have to try the Murray Cats out soon,I have only fished Murray for Striper in the past.Looks like its time to add another lake to the mix.Good Job:big_smile:

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Pop pop, last time we hooked up you and Bruce had to tow my boat up the lake. I don't want that kind of hook ups again!

Pat, do you lick the up and down or left to right? I tried putting them in my mouth to swish around, but kept swallerin' them. They tasted good that way, but I didn't want to run aout of bait.

How is the Sunbird family, haven't heard from you in a while?

Right now ought to be a good time to double up on cats and stripers. I kept wishing for my pencil popper and striper rod while I was out yesterday.

Steve

7. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Congrats Steve, glad to see you back at it!

8. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve, I see you are from Pickens. I grew up in Six Mile, just down the road.

9. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Yep, its a great place. I been here all my life outside of time in the millitary. We used to own a farm over in six mile. Done a lot of creek fishing over there in praters creek. Still go there a lot to catch bream and suckers to use for bait.

10. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Steve, I lived across from Mt. Olivette church. Graduated Daniel 1976.

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve all the 'Birds' are doing fine, thanks for asking.:wink:
    I have been real busy lately with helping the boys in their new ventures. Hayes started school this year, Levi IS now potty trained and Jesse is sitting up by himself and will be crawling soon.:eek:oooh:
    I have also been busy with BIG STUFF, looks like Catfishermen like our BIG STUFF!!:roll_eyes:
    Pop Pop and I will be headed out to Alabama on Sunday, 11th, to pre-fish for the Cabela's Classic on the 16th and 17th. Hope to make SC proud!!
    Here is a pic of the 3 baby 'Birds' in the Birdbath!!:smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

12. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Jon,
    That's 3 fine looking boys. They must have taken after their mother! :wink:You need to teach 1 to catch bait:big_smile:, 1 to back the boat:big_smile:, and 1 to clean the fish:big_smile:.

Good luck in Alabama! I'm sure you will do us proud!

God Bless All,
    Steve