Slime on Fishing Line

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ronnycl, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    This past summer I caught a few cats and was wondering why my line was coated with slime from the hook up to about three feet. Slime was on line which poles caught fish, but three other poles had no fish but a lot of slime.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    It's because when you were reeling the cat's in they rolled up in your line. Happens all the time to me, usually blue cats.

Hope this helps. Good luck!:)

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    As the water warm up you will see more slim on the catfish. It will wash off and dont harm your rods. The slim will help them handle warmer water temps in the summer months .

4. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I would agree K.J. that fish sometimes role up in your line. However, if three other poles caught no fish with slime then I would just say that it is some other organic "slime" probably from the bottom composition fauna or flora.

There is various sources for "slime" in nature. Typically, just like with fish "slime", it is a protective coating. There is alot of organic slime. I have caught jelly like material that resembles fish "slime" (eggs/sperm from frogs, insects, fish, etc.). Also, some plants have a slimy coating, and so do some algae. Water fungus (chitrid) is typically slimy and whitish-cloudy in the water but can deflate against the line resembling fish slime. Also many organisms are slimy like bryophytes, freshwater sponges, bacterial colonies, protist colonies. There is many possibile origins of your slime. I get slime all the time, and I rhyme (HA!). Anyway, don't mind it, it's natural and organic and in the fishes' environment so it shouldn't scare the fish away (some people may wipe it away fearing it will scare away fish - as predator fish slime can scare away prey fish from your hook/bait).

I am sure most of you have had fish slime scare away fish. For example your catching bluegill/sunfish/prey like crazy and catch one bass/flathead/predator and suddenly the bluegill/sunfish/prey avoid that particular pole like its the plague. Congratulations, you've been slimed.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there is also a possibility that you had an eel messing with your line before the catfish hit or the eel just stole your bait...

6. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    That slime! Most generally when you notice your line being slimed you will also notice the fish are "finnicky feeders." Catfish will somtimes follow a line, (trot line) limb line or even your rod line. I've never observed a jug line that was slimed, it may have somthing to do with the bait moving (drift fishing) or what ever. The fish will literally swim up to the line and slide(?) along it until they reach the bait, this may happen several time before they decide to bite or they may swim away. My first thought on this is we probably have handled the line in the slimed area after we have handled "bait" (theory no proof). We were running shallow trot lines a few years back and watched several fish do this, some took baits others didn't. We've been slimed on trot lines when the water was 40 degrees and when the surface temp was in the upper eighties so I think this may just be a reaction by fish that aren't aggressively feeding only "snacking." And that is also another UNPROVED theory of mine. The thing I do know is a slimed line is a dangerous line.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Slime on the rods that hadn't caught fish is usually them swimming into your line. I've had slime on my lines several times but no fish they would bump it.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Sometimes when fishing in the river, there are very large balls of bait fairly close to the edge of the water, shad, small panfish, etc. Anyway, the shad are especially slimey fish. I've had shad run into my line often. I thought the slime came from them.

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I've always thought that slime on the line means catfish. Alot of times when well catch a cat that slime will be on the line and in the net and several times i've had good hits but know hookups and reeled in and found the slim down close to the hook. When i will run a trotline and i find a hook thats been robbed or disturbed ill find some slim on the hookline and the same thing happens when i limb line. All this led to mine and river_rat_42's conclusion that slime=catfish

10. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That sounds very logical. But, do you think that there's any chance that the slime could also come from the shad? Because you know how slimey shad are!!!!

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    if you get slime on your line, cats have been around. period. shad do not leave slime on your line. i have been in many a battle with a large fish and the fish comes off and reel up only to find slime about 2 feet up the line. thats when you know its a cat. if you catch many cats you will notice this slime also when your taking the fish off the hook alot of times.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep that's right! Slime will not come off of shad on your line. They are cats or I guess possibly eels but mostly cats!

Zakk

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Ok, thanks for the clarification!!