"Slim Pickens"

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 22, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Getting "cabin fever" with the lack of fishing since my last fishing on the "Delta Trip". My fishing buddy Captn Jack is back from Texas as he perfers to winter out here ...than there..... He is a local contributor to one of our "local wrags", and was invited to go on the local 1/2 day boat after it just got re-certified by the coast guard. We had planned to fish on Sunday, so his Saturday trip was to check out the local water. Well, he pulled over to my house on the way home and reported that "city of Redondo" did poorly for the am fishing......The "city" made five "sets" for the morning as they fished the "famed' Palos Verdes.. "Rocky Point". He caught fish... limited amouts of small chuckel heads.. basically it sucked.

He commented "lets not go out tomorrow... unless you want to".... I said that with the break in the weather, that Sunday would be great... flat calm seas, and just some "offshore" wind to contend with.....and we've only got a few days left for the "Rock fishing" with the closure on the 31st.....

Well, I was "startled" awake in the morning as the thump on my back door awakened me as I was snoring in my recliner.... with some kind of "left over feelings" from the party the night before.....

We went out.... Went to Marina Del Rey to the north, and paid the $7 launch and park fee and then picked up our customary $5 scoop of bait...

Out to the outer banks we went... some 10-12 miles out and did several drifts in 190 feet of water.... Lost a few of the 12 oz sinker rigs as the bottom is rather rough out there, but did manage to pick some "jonny bass" and assorted "rock cod", and later some sand dabs.... nothing big, to speek about but we did see lots of birds sitting on bait, and great flocks of those "fish killing cormorants"..... You know, the "asian bird" that eats the "stocked fish" in the trout lakes.... Should have "open season" on them... and the seals that kill the salmon and other fish that man brings up to the side of the boat....

Anyway, we finished the morning up with a drift down the "shit pipe" out of LA.... we metered lots of "stuff" along the pipe.. must have been squid eggs and such.... cause the local bite seem "off".... might have been stuffed with food already.....so, as it is said in terms of an "ole movie star" from the western era of long ago.... "Slim Pickens"

Sorry... no picks... beautiful view of the snow on the mtns, and lots of folks leaving LA in the planes overhead..
    ....Merry Christmas..

Bayrunner Ray

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    nice report Ray. Just like I was in the boat. Awesome!

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great report maybe next time you will get them:0a23:

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Nice report Ray. Sorry to hear the fishing wasn't too great. Don't worry I went out to the Mendota slough Sunday with my uncle and got skunked. We got a few early morning bites, but they must have all been small fish cause they just kept taking the bait. We headed out to bass ave and tried there and got zero bites. Went back to the slough and no bites. Can't wait until March comes. The winter bite is not happening out here this year.

Sean!

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Bout time you got a profile pic:big_smile:

6. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks for showing your support Robb.:smile2: I finally scanned a couple pics at my mom's. I have a few more I still have to find. Now you know I've actually caught some catfish. Can I get some rep love for that fellaz?

Sean!

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    LOL!!!!!:big_smile:Any time brother....... you get reps for a profile brother!!!!

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well got back out again today... like before... just some small chuckle heads, smallest rock cod in my life, and a deep water mackeral, and some jonny bass, buttternmouth perch, sand dabs, and one pelican... releas befroe.....slim pickins.... more to follow, off to Moreno Valley to in laws, and maybe some Perris action,,,, talkd to you all when I get back...

Bayruner Ray

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Brother Ray......You and your better half have a great New Years.

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well gang....did not get to Perris lake.. just 10 miles away, had my pole, bait (stank and hog stuff) but my bro in law was here visiting from Texas... had to visit and party with him....still fighting my cold, so did not get out... Yuk.... had it all figured out, hit the cove by the launch ramp, put out a "floating rig" over the bolders there, and then a bottom rig as well.... well, high hopes...

here are the pics of the smallest rock fish know to man that we caught on our last deep water trip...

I did a photoshop of the local mountains ... had to "burn" through the smog to make the snow on the mountains show up.....

Hey, "Happy New Year to ya all"... and it makes 29 years today that my wife and I have been together....

bayrunner Ray

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Glad your back brother Ray safe and sound. Wow 29 years that beat mine by 8 years. Have a good one brother.

12. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Congratulations to you and your wife on the 29 years. That is a long time and something to be proud of. I would say the same on the fish, but I think it was a few ounces shy of a congrats.:smile2: Better luck next time Ray. Take it easy buddy.

Sean!