slikk03 is very mad

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 7, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hooked in to what i beleive to be a 65 pound flathead he bent my poll toothe ground , he was so bigg i could not horse him off the bottem slipped my drag , i was thinking i might have the state reaord then he wraped be around a boulder, i was so mad i left, what could i of done to keep this from happining, , im thinking of buying heavy action rodrs to winch them off the bottem, they say you need a vsesative rod but u cant keep them off the bottem, also im uprading to 65 pound test, any advice, maby my drag was to loose,ill be on here tonight for a minie, but we will all talk tommaro workingsecod shift, not happy,lol

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Bummer Dude

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    AMAZING!!!!!! I didn't know you could weigh fish while they are still on the bottom?????:smile2: Sure it wasn't merely a 64 pounder???

Maybe just the SNAG weighed 65 pounds. :roll_eyes:LOL!!!!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its happened to me twice so far this year. First one spit the hook about 10' from the boat and second one just let go. I reeled the gill in and the hook point had went back in the gill.
    Both were very large Flatties, Impossible to guess the weight other than very, very large.
    Thats why its called fishing instead of catching....:cool2:

5. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Maybe it was a "stick bass"

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake....it happens to the best of us bro! If you're fishing very snaggy bottoms....you might want to upgrade to heavier lines and rods.:wink:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Or, you might employ the infamous JimmyJonny. For a jet charter to you, meals and a small nominal fee, he works his magic by swimming down your line to collect those monsters! The man is a livin' legend around here! :cool2:

Bill in SC

8. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Hey Jake, sorry to hear about losin' the fish! BTW - you should start thanking some of these guys for helping you out as much as they have. There is a thank you button in the lower right corner of the comment block. Not a big deal, just an acknowledgement that you appreciate the help. I hope I am not sounding like an a-hole! It is not my intention.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Truth is that we are all going to lose fish now and then. You can try going to heavier rods and line (probably want to go with braid if you're going heavy), but you will still lose fish now and then.

One thing you might want to try is to let loose - take the tension off the line - when you feel one go into cover or around a rock. The line is more likely to break on a snag if it's real tight and sometimes the fish will come back out or around when the tension is off. Don't go totally slack, just loosen up on him for a bit and then pull again.

10. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I agree. A lot of times when they get in a snag or something like that, they will swim out of it if you give them some slack. My PB ran right into a HUGE snag and for like 5 minutes I couldnt even feel him pull. I let off him and gave him all the slack he wanted and he eventually swam back out and I got him in pretty quick.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go heavy till ya start winnen hooks, line and rod. Got a 7 ft broomstick snagen rod and a ol penn 309 with 90lb braid I use it for snaggen carp and fishen for Flats around log jambs. Rough Current and a nasty bottom ya gona have to get em up and away never give a inch. Still ya gona lose some lol it happens.:smile2: On a note my PB flatt 65 lbs was on 10lb line and a zebco 33 on a 6 ft cheap rod. lol thats fishen.

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    lmao good 1 never been able to do that

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    CANT ANSER CEY BRD SCREWD ,CANT TY V1R1S N GET 1T:crazy:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    CANT ANSER CEY BRD SCREWD ,CANT TY V1R1S N GET 1T:crazy:

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas

i see your sig. says hank hill but your typing like boomhauer talks lol:wink::smile2:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

LOL...My son done the same thing,,While fishing for bluegills/bait with a 6'spincast outfit( zebco 33 with 8or10lb. what looked like a small bush by the bank in 2-3' water he hung into a fish that swam for what seemed like eternity, pulling line off that little dude..My son finaly got him close enough , about a hour or so..to net. 46lb that flathead weighed. we all about fell over laughing the rest of the night.:smile2::smile2: I'm LMHO right now thinking about it..:wink:

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    OK THAT DUDE SAID I COULDENT GUES THE WEGHT OF A FISH I DID NOT SEE, TRUE,, MABY NOT, BUT THAT ONE IN MY AVATAR WAS LIKE HOOKING A BLUEGILL COPARED TO THIS, IT WAS NOT COMING IN, IT DESPOOLED ME WITH MY DRAG TIGHT, ALMOST SNAPPED MY BIG ROD, THEN SNAGGED ME, 50 POUND TEST IN SHALLOW WATER, I NEVER GET MAD WEN FISHING BUT I WAS SO MAD I QWIT, AND WAS NOT IN A GOOD MOOD FOR, A WHILE, IM STILL NOT OVER, IT, ITS LIKE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL, AND THINKING YOU ONE THEN THE OTHER TEAM GETS A PUNT AND WINS THE GAME,IL WAS ACTUALY DEPRESED AL NIGHT, IT WAS DISALUSANING, BUT THERES ALWAYS TOMAROW, IM NOT A QWITER, I NEED A KIKK IN THE A**, FROM YALL AND QWIT WINING,

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Well consider this a KICK IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

oh ya.. Quit your WHINING!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

get back out there he's waiting for ya Slikk!

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been spooled, snapped off, had em wrap me, melt down my drag and seize it, blow the gears out, rip reels out de seats. And rods not broken once but twice lol. I went to surf rods and a lot of problems stopped. That 10 ft rod is one giant shock absorber. Mono helps to as it streaches. But some are gona get the best of ya around cover, we ant fishen for bait:wink:. When ya hook one with 90lb braid and a broom stick and he straitens the hook, I just shrug and smile. I dont get mad.

20. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll tell you what, if you tell me were you hooked into this monster flat. I will go out and fish it several times for you, and then post what I find out.