slikk and dan skunked

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 31, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeap 12 hours below the dam, yesterday, only one slam, my drag was to loose, to get the circal hook to hook it , i think kaels are beter, i never get aq good hookup with gama 8 ots, dan is the same , can you tell us what we might of been doing wrong, we couldent anker on the lock, curent was to fast, but, no luck, we had skips carp shad, but we still had fun, no loss, in my book, ill get a 50 blue this year

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Gettin skunked once in awhile,, is part of the game...
    Glad you still had fun:wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i had my chance but i learned to go tighter on the drag,

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Those circle hooks don't need set. I had to get used to em. :wink:

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slik I got skunked yesterday too. It happens to everyone. Sounds like you might've had one grab the bait and pull down but missed the hook. That happens too. Gettin skunked sux but look at like this your puttin in your time.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just dont get how a fish that hit so hard and pulled drag like nothing i seen, could not hookup, its killing me, i think it was huge, i wish i got that hook in him, im thinkng of going to king kaels after so many faild hookups, i thing gammas are crap, for me, they dont setthemseves ever i can have my rod slam and nothing, somthing is not right, maby its the size of cuts i was using , i will post a pi of how i bait up with my gamas, i was using big hunks, but maby the current was filling the gap, im mad but i still had fun, and learned a little,just not what i hoped, ill get one, this year

7. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I would say that you put too much bait on your hooks. Circle hooks need room to work right. It doesn't take large bait to catch large fish.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    bill i did that so them little ones dont mess around, i figerd the bigger cuts the more a big one will single it out, ill post on that issiue now in another thread i was using large skipjaj head with the gama in the lips no gap

9. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    man, i had sure hoped to get you into some nice fish. it was a bad bite day, i still had a good time. i still am not sure how i like the circles, just when i think there the best i have a day like that were they dont seem to hook up. current was awful 12 oz would not stay on bottom except behind a current break. get ahold of me and we will give them a shot again. sorry we didnt get the whale. lol

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    About 2 weeks ago I was fishing with a whole Skipjack but a kinda small one 6 or 7 inches long, had 2 hooks both 8/0 Diachi Circles, one through his head and one through the tail area, a fillet cut off one side.

anyway I had a rod slow pull down about 3 feet then jerk jerk jerk, pulled back slow and nothing:angry:. Reeled in the bait I could see the mouth print in the side of the fish. He was pulling on the bait yet missed the hooks.

Best hook for Big Baits is the Gamakatsu Big River Bait hook. I like circles for chunks and steaks but 1/4 lb+ baits you can't beat the Big River Baithook. Read about it below:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Big River Bait Hook[/FONT]
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gamakatsu has developed a new hook designed for use with really big baits and really big fish. This hook definitely fills the need for a big enough hook to handle really big baits without being too heavy to get a good hook set. The New Big River Bait hook is ideal for the larger cut baits used for big Catfish and Sturgeon. The unique bend of the Big River Bait hook is similar to an Octopus hook but has a slightly more exaggerated slope off the back with a harder angle bend at the bottom with a slight beak point, giving it a more aggressive appearance than the Octopus hooks. This bend also provides for extra gap to accommodate much larger baits. The Big River Bait Hook is built slightly heavier than an Octopus hook in the same size range, is forged for extra strength and features an up eye for snelling. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new Big River Bait hook has a NS Black finish for corrosion resistance and comes in only two sizes, 10/0 and 12/0.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Previous Product[/FONT]​

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea there price is up, i was gonna get some but they are high, but i dont see the hooks me and dan were using to be bad them are top choice, of the boc

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dont worry hoss I had a few good pull downs this year and notta reel up and the bait has a bite mark up to the hook. But then again I was fishen some large baits. They do that somtimes almost like they wanna chomp a bait just to taste it. Had em kill live baits the same way to. Dont worry I dident get much this past weekend myself but a 10 lb blue and a 14lb flat and alot of small fish for funn. Keep @ it Slikk ya gona get a 50+. On a note I caught 23 blues tonight on rod and reel but they was only 8 to 10 inchs long :smile2:. Fishen 2 big poles and a small light rig with worms.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive been skunked the past two times.:sad2: But I gotta look at this way. At least im out of the house, im in gods country liveing it up. The iceing on the cake would be a nice big flattie. Sometimes its just good to set there and clear your mind.

14. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    i don't think you would be happy unless they were jumping in your lap. you catch some and you miss some. you can't catch them all. quit complaning and fish.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    indeed indeed,lol we had fun,

16. Dkaup

Dkaup New Member

State:
    Columbus,nebraska
    thats all that matters is that you had fun

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea them blues are qwit the chalenge in current there no flathead, they are so much faster