Slightly Offended by VS

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by photocat, Mar 8, 2007.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Versus (the TV station) has this bracket up for their Big Fish Madness... I went and filled mine out and they only have one catfish on it (not surprising) but the one they have they call a "yellow catfish" I know this is a Flathead, but it irked me the wrong way that this national TV station would use the wrong name for the fish... Whats worse is they have in the "fish facts" that it is "also known as... flathead catfish..." . I'm sorry but any Fish Identification book has its common name as Flathead, not yellow... They already give our quarry enough disrespect as it is, the least they can do is get the "official" common name right...

I've emailed them about their mistake still waiting to hear back from them...

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Us Southern boys didn't know what a flathead was until some yankee's started talking them up. Then we figured out, that mush being spouted was about yellow cats, or as some of us now them, Oppelousa's, or Opps for short.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Bryan I emailed one of the shows on there (fishing university), I was looking thru the guide seeing what was on. Fishing U says that its begining fishermen (figured it would be good for the kids to watch and learn). When I turn it on it was of course Bass fishing on a 35 -40K boat with all the toys. I pretty much complained that most beggining fisherment wouldnt have the money to buy something as elaboarate as a boat that costs that much they would most likely be on the bank and they would probably be fishing for just about whatever they could catch including Gills, crappie, Cats, Carp. I havnt heard anything back yet but I do Ill let you all know.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good for you bryan,set them strait bro. i seen hank parker last week call a bluecat a channel. lol how do these guys get on tv anyhow $ ? just goes to show you dont have to know what your talking about to go on tv and give advise. lol

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i posted some where about the name calling of flatheads.some people call them mudcats.here in arkansas we call bullheads mudcats.i guess it depends on where you are from.whatever you call them they are one fine animal.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    but, but, but... there are bull heads and there are flat heads. A rose is always a rose, and a bull head is always a bull head and not a flat head... er,,,, right?

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    My relatives in southern Arkansaw call Flatheads Spotted Cats, in south Louisiana they call them Yellow (Yella) Cats, in north La where I live they call them Ops or Oppelousos. I have heard 'em called Flats, Shovelheads, Shovelers, and Freshwater Sharks. I guess it just kinda depends on where you are from.:tounge_out:

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It don,t matter what you call them they are still the King of cats for they are funnnn to catch and goooood to eat long live the King:still_dreaming:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    WE have called them Yellow cats for three+ Generations here in West Tn also.
    That or lunch.:cool2:
    Pete

10. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Have any of y'all ever heard of Walleye being called a Jack?
    I was raised in Black Rock, Arkansas and we caught Jack's out of the Black River
    When I married and move to Missouri, I asked my husband, while on our first fishing trips, if there were any Jacks in Stockton Lake. He just looked at me sort of funny and said that none that he knew of.
    While he was bass fishing, I was setting on the back of the boat fishing for Crappie. After catching about 10 nice Crappie, something kept hitting my line and I kept missing him.
    I got to thinking and remembering, in my experiences, that is exactly what a Jack would do, sort of.
    So I put on another minnow, and after about 3 minutes, something hit my hook, I just set there and sure enough, it hit it again. I was waiting on the third hit and was ready. When the fish hit the bait the third time, I set the hook. I landed a real nice Jack. Held him up to my husband and said, "You goon, there are Jack's in this lake." He looked at me and said that that wasn't a jack that it was a Walleye. I told him it was what my grandfather called Jack's or sometimes a Jack Salmon. He finally said he didn't care what I called them, just keep on catching them.
    So I did.
    This is what I was taught, and I repeat, just how I was taught as a tow-headed kid who loved to fish, is that a Jack would 'hit' the bait, and kill it or stun it and then come back for feast. I was always taught to not set the hook on the first hit, to wait for the second hit.
    Sorry, I know this doesn't have anything to do with cat fishing:embarassed:
    Sassy

11. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I hope my first post and screen name won't offend anyone. Around here, a flathead is called a yellow cat.

Looks like a great website...

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You know, the funny thing is flatheads are'nt naturally yellow. they start to turn yellow from oxygen deficiency. from fighting them. you ever notice the longer you have them out of water, the more yellow they turn. they're naturally almost as black as coal. i caught a couple medium sized ones, about 15 pounds, and was too tired to clean em'. i had a VERY large aquarium set up outside for my bait. i put them in and revived them till they turned black again. what a mistake. they almosy broke my aquarium apart when it come time to reach in and hawg em' back out. but man, they were BLACK as night.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Here in the Tn river they will range from Dark black to light yellow. They can and do blend in with what is around them. Or they have for 40+ years.
    Pete

14. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can't say I have a problem with somebody calling one fish by a different name even if it's the name of another fish. I can understand that it would throw you off if you're not used to hearing it, but when you get down to it it's really just another name for the same thing. That just shows you how everybody is dissimilar. The same fish lives in both areas, but the people in those areas have different backgrounds and call the fish by different names. Now, if they were calling a flathead catfish by the name of Ictalurus furcatus, then I'd have a problem. That's about as bad as saying 2 + 2 = 5.

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    bluegill are also known as bream.
    In Oklahoma, bluegill are known as pirch.
    When talkin to my wife, I call them pirch because if I call them bluegill she gets all in a tizzy.

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alot of people around here still call bluecats "white cats". Only with the advent of bluecat management have we learned the true name, and that a white cat is something alltogether different. As for the perch/bluegill thing, you should line your ol' lady out. Perch and bluegill are two different fish, but both are bream. As for TV, those people are actors, and only know what someone tells them. Flathead/yellow cat/shovel head/oppalousa are all regional common names for the same fish. Call em whatever you want. My grandpa always called crappie "specks" because he spent alot of time fishing in florida.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    When I first joined catfisherman.net(before BOC) every was talking about flathead catfish and I didn't have any idea what kind of cat that was then after 2-3 months it hit me they were talking about yella cats.I never heard them called flatheads till I joined this board.We did call channel cats by the right name but I can't and ain't gona tell what we called blue cats.