Slight problem with sear assembly on a rem. 597 22lr

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flatheadchris, Oct 10, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ok,after a box of ammo i noticed the bolt was getting a little harder to pull back(noticed more friction).after taking the gun apart and cleaning it throughly,reoiling etc the gun still has some friction.But after examining the gun i found the source.The friction is coming from where the sear and the hammer meets together.Ive tried oil and grease and no differance.The sear looks fine,doesnt look ruff etc.

Any ideas?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Just a thought...check the bolt guide rods, and make sure you didn't overtighten the set screws that hold them in. the slightest amount of tightness (i believe its like 10 in pounds) is sufficient on these screws. Too tight and the guide rods will bow out, causing friction. I dont know why this could happen after a box of ammo, but maybe worth checking out?
    :confused2:

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    the bolt slides fine on the rods with no problems or any friction,its the sear that has the friction but i wonder why? It doesnt looks rounded or ruff at all. and the ammo was the federal 550rd value box at wally world :big_smile:

p.s. the gun shoots fine i guess. 3 rounds out of the big box did not reopen the bolt..

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Chris I agree with Matt. Also if ya bought it new, there's a preservative on there that needs cleaned off, something they use at the factory. Wasn't able to get mine dialed in till I got it all cleaned off with a degreaser. The screws don't need to be tight, the stock will keep them from backing out. Clean it off good, go back with a good quality oil/lube combo & see if it isn't better. The bolt floats on those rods. Plenty of play, less ya overtighten. It's only 10-12 inch pounds. Also, I'm not a big fan of Rem Oil. It's just too light. Even lighter than sewing machine oil.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    boots is right, remoil is pretty light. it has its uses, like for the exterior parts of gun metal, sharpening stones, fishilg reels... try the hoppe's elite. a little bit goes a long way and it's heavier, but not tacky.