Slick Boat Floor!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by trapperP, Oct 2, 2008.

1. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Not really sure where to post this so if I'm wrong here, please forgive me!
    Question: I'm doing some fishing out of my duck boat, a 15' Triton [1546 DS], and this boat has the aluminum panels for floor boards. Works great BUT with a wet dog, a little mud, some more water and then ice, the floor becomes slick as snot! Same situation with a little more water and some catfish slime - you get the picture.
    Now, who else has had the problem, and how did you go about solving it? I'm considering a spray one finish a la the bed liner trick or some sort of stick on strips of anti-skid stuff [Step-Tred, or the like]
    So, what are you going to tell me, what are you going to recommend? I need a little advice here from someone that has 'been there, done that!'

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You are on the rite track for sure. Both are effective it just depends on the budget. :cool2:

3. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Cheap rubber backed carpet runners cut to size are what I use in my duck boat. Plus it keeps things quieter, and if needed I can take them out and hose them off.

On a bigger boat might want to consider a piece of plywood cut to size and carpeted.

The spray in bed liner is I think another good choice if you can afford it.

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

I like the rubber mats. Removable, non-slip, and you can inter-lock or cut them to size. 20 bucks at Home Depot or Lowes.
    http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/696182/696182000398md.jpg

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tried about everything but have settled on the removable rubber backed runners. Mostly because they come out for cleaning and drying on the off season.
    In the old days Dad used to make sand paint . Stir in a bit of beach sand , put a coat of paint/sand mix on and "salt" again between coats while the first coat is still stickey.

Simple and cheap till ya figure out what ya really want.
    Spray in liners are pretty close to the obvious choice for Looks and protection but I just can't get by the Prep and Price for a complete job.

R Green

6. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for your post here!

Kind of amazing what ingenuity some of these guys displayed in the 'old days.' I've seen my Dad take soot from the chimney and mis it in with black paint to make a flat, non-reflective finsh on his silly-wets, or 'Shaddrs' as he called them. Or to take a cypress john boat, home made, of course! - and put 5 or 10 gallons of water and a handful of soap powder in it so it would be 'swole up' and not leak when you used it. Also was taught by him to just 'stay still and let the decoys work, don't call anymore!' And we killed a lot of ducks!
    He also like to fish, and one of his basic tenets was to not talk a lot. He would usually answer you but it had better be a valid question and to the point. I miss him.

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I was about to post just that its a quick free fix unless well you pay for the acess to the beach LOL

8. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    i used rhino lining,you can order it on line,comes in black,red gray,@white ,and it comes with a kit .you roll it on ,and it works great,i did all three of my boats.larry d. grady

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used the paint & sand trick, and it works OK, but you'll probably have to touch it up every year. I'm sure the Rhino type lining would be a great permanent solution, IF you've got the bucks to lay out. I tried the plywood and plastic grass carpet bit, and found that after a couple of years, the plywood stayed so wet it was so heavy that it was like carrying another person in the boat. More trouble than it was worth. Of course, the fact that I have to store my jonboat outside would almost certainly be a factor; if I could have stored it in the dry I might not have had that problem.

10. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    walmart has bed liner for about $30 add some sand and roll it on

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Has anyone used "Slip No More"?

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    indoor outdoor carpet or boat floor vinale that way you can change it if you want

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go by you local carpet store. Around back they will have a dumpster full of used carpet and new scraps too.

I always get some for the garage,, use it laying under cars,, changing oil and such. Last year I got some new, snow white, thick pile scraps. Everyone that came in the shop had to wipe their feet on them. Boy that felt good lol lol

Hey you can get new every year,,, and those carpet places are glad to get rid of some of it out of the dumpster. lol

14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I used aluminum diamond tread panels to put the floor in my 1648 Alumacraft NCS. In the bright sunlight it would burn out your retinas plus even with the diamond tread it was slick. I took some self etching automotive primer and painted the decks. Then I picked up some epoxy garage floor paint at Lowes and mixed several handfuls of clean dry sand with it. I smeared it on the deck and rolled it out with a short knap roller. End result was a slip proof green deck that has lasted for years with no damage at all except were I dropped an anchor last year.