** Sleep Apnea **

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by canepole, Mar 12, 2006.

1. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I got to go and see a doctor tuesday, I wake up some morning's feeling like I havn't slept in day's, I was wondering if any of You other member's have sleep apnea, I think that is what I have,.....

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I feel like i havent gotten any sleep in days every day but thats cuz i dont sleep. I work over night uselly get 5 to 4 hours sleep some times none. get used to it after 3 years of it

3. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I got that Cane. You'll have to get a sleep study done. What they will do is have you go in one night and sleep like you normally would except with a whole bunch of electrods hooked all over your body and I mean all over your body. If they determine you have sleep apena you will go back in one more time and sleep with a mask on. At first it will feel very strange but the will determine what pressure you need your mask set at. Then you will be all set to go. At first I hated the mask but now I can not sleep with out it. I also suggest you get a humidifer with yours. It may cost a little more but well worth it. When ever I sleep without mine on or with out water in it my nose gets all dried out and it burns a little. If you want any other info just call me hoss.

4. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks D,Man I may have to give you a shout,

5. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have apnea and I have had it for many years. I use the air pillows system. It seems to help me out. The Nasel aire system is also really good for people with facial hair. You don't be scared of them sleep test.

6. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I let it go untreated for so many years that I developed Narcolepsy and Cataplexy... which is the one where there's no warning, ya just hit the floor in a heap like a circuit breaker in brain tripped. And that was what got me forced into a medical retirement.

If I doze off for only a couple hours, without the cpap device, I wake up feeling like I just ran a marathon and like my heart is going to explode. It also takes me several hours before I can focus enough to do even the most simple tasks.

dgde4x4man is right. Ya for sure want the humidifier attachment. Far as I'm concerned, it should be a standard item rather than an add on accessory.

Don't sweat it bro. Your docs can fix ya right up and you'll see and feel the difference from the first night ya use the device.

Mike

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i have what the the dr. said to be severe sleep apnea and they put me on c pap and i could never get used to it. i think i had one night when i actually got a little sleep. but thats just me the sleep test are a piece of cake the hardest thing about them is getting all the gell crap out of your hair...and the patches on your legs make sure they pull those off slowly........
    but the test are really simple all you gotta do is sleep......

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Thanks for all your input, I will let you all know what happen's

9. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used a c-pap machine for about 4 years. It will make a HUGE difference in the way you feel. Even if I take a nap I use it. And make sure you get a humidifer with it. Those suckers can really dry you out. Probably the best thing that has happened to me was finally finding that I had sleep apnea and the Respironics C-Pap machine! You'll feel like a new person!

10. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    the important thing is if you do have never fall asleep without your mask i have done it a few times and my throat feels like sand paper i was diagnosed 2 years ago

11. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    I thought it was just me. I have some of the same problems. 2 hrs 6hrs 8hrs or 12 it makes no difference i always feel like crap. I feel like I should of just stay awake all the time I couldn't feel much worse. I just turned 28 and have been like this for at least 10 yrs. I guess i need to get the sleep test done. I smoke and when I quit for 7 months still had the same problems but Im sure that smoking doesnt help. My fiance says that i will jump up in the night trying to catch my breath. Does anybody else do this?

12. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You learn a lot doing one of the sleep test. I found out that I had only 10 minutes of REM (Deep Sleep) during the night. I woke up 125 times during the night. For 8 minutes my oxygen level was dangerously low. And yes, I would find myself waking up gasping for breath every once in awhile. The c-pap has done wonders for me. No wonder I was exhausted. Now, most nights I sleep a full night, and definately feel better during the day. I remember leaving work during lunch just to go home and take a hard 2 hour nap. Definately, if anyone has any difficulty sleeping, they should ask for help. It makes a world of difference when you can sleep properly!

13. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I have done alittle research on this subject and the experts say that one outta five people suffer with this problem, and don't even know it,

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Will I bet I'm one out of the five then. I've read this thread and gotta admit I need to get my self a sleep test done too. Everything y'all have said sounds like me. The wife has told my lung doctor ( I've got asthma) that I snore way too much and way too loud. He has suggested I get a sleep study done.
    Good luck with yer study canepole.

15. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I found this surfing the web, thought you all might like to read it.

The Greek word "apnea" literally means "without breath." There are three types of apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed; of the three, obstructive is the most common. Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.
    Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep. In central sleep apnea, the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to! signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.
    Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.
    Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible! for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues

16. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Maybe some deeper explanation is in order.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is more common in over weight folks but not exclusively. As a person with OSA falls asleep, the various muscles throughout the body relax, including those that support the wall around the inside of the throat. The wall begins to sag, and then to the point where it chokes off the the air going to the lungs. When the brain realizes it's not getting oxigenated blood, it calls to the body to wake up, which pulls the muscles tight and allows breathing to continue as normal. But, as the person falls back to sleep, the cycle repeats itself. As in the case of redhawknc1, the cycle repeats 125 times during an eight hour sleep period.

Because of the frequency and durations of stopped breathing, the lack of oxigenated blood flow causes an extra burden on the heart and damage to brain cells. This is why most folks who suffer from OSA have chest pains, feel out of breath and have trouble getting their thought processes working for some times hours after waking up. Over months of going untreated, the recurring stresses on the heart and brain result in permanet damage and even death. Some specialests believe that OSA prevents people from ever reaching REM (rapid eye movement) level sleep. This is the deepest level of sleep and believed to be where the human body turns on it's self healing functions.

A Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device is a treatment intended to prevent the sagging wall inside the throat from choking closed the air supply and in turn, help keep the airway open for normal breathing. The device pushes an adjustable amount of air through a hose and a mask worn over the nose (or nose and mouth) of the user. The continuous air pressure keeps the tracia (?) inflated against the weight of the sagging throat wall.

Some signs you may have OSA... very loud snoring, a very irratated throat lining (sore throat) from snoring, stop breathing for any length of time during sleep, wake up feeling as though you haven't slept in days, narcolepsy... fighting to stay awake or falling asleep at inappropriate times during the day, memory problems, inability to focus mentally or fell like you're having an "out of body experience".

Sleep disorders can kill ya. Problem is, it's a fairly slow, painful and degrading trip before ya get there.

Mike

17. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Tom,

Looks like we had the same idea. You got to the post it button way before me though. lol

Mike

18. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    the message is out, thats forsure,
    I never knew this problem was so serious, untill yesterday.I wonder how many other BOCer's have this problem and don't know it..

19. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    cane, been there done that diagonsed with sleep apnea cronic fatige. had 4 sleep studies done ($1500 a shot) got a C pap n it didnt do the trick. had major surgery done cut out everything in my throat adanoids, gagger, dangly thing back there, broke my nose carved out a load of tissue out of my airways. still snore about 8 on a rickter scale butt i'm gettin rest now. GET A STUDY DONE SOON! i got a brand new c pape with the humidifirer on it i'll give you. you will have to get it adjusted to your settings but it'll save you a few bucks. holler at me. hope the c pap works fer you the sugery was like gettin hit in the face by Barry Bonds with a Louieville slugger lost 25lbs in 5 days couldin swallow nuttin.

20. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Greg, I may be making a trip to see you , Cause I am sure I will have to have one, I will let you know when I find out, Thanks Buddy.