Slat Traps anyone?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by confederate, May 10, 2006.

1. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been thinking about building a slat trap, they are legal here in Tennessee as long as they are properly tagged. Do any of y'all use a Slat Trap with any regularity? What is a good size?

2. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Be sure to make it to legal dimensions with proper sized slot on each side.

For example: MS law says that slat baskets can't exceed 6 feet in length and can't exceed 15 inches in width, can have no more than 2 throats and must have at least 4 slot openings of a minimum 1.5 inches by 24 inches evenly spaced around the sides of the catch area. The 1.5 inch slots must begin at the rear of the basket and run 24 inches toward the throat end of the basket.

3. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Guess ain't many folks 'round here use slat traps, HA! Finally found something to stump Y'all.....LOL

4. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I figured there would be a few folks on here from Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Arkansas that were experts on slat traps, thats where I seen the ones that I've seen put to use......I can't believe there ain't no experts on slat baskets 'round here.....P.S. We'll keep your secrets secret 'round here...Shhh

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can only use one slat trap here in TN, and have to buy a 5 dollar tag for it every year. I have one that I put out every 2 or 3 years just to make sure I don' forget how to do it.

6. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm wanting to build a good old school wooden one like my grndpa built when I was a young boy, but he died at 96 1/2 years old and I was only 11 so I remember helping him cut the wood and all but don't remember exactly how he made it and he seasoned it for about a month before he used it, best I can recall he put it in a trough of water, clorox, and Epson salt but I'm not sure and can't nobody living in my family remember, All they wanna talk about is how good them fish was that he brought home....Thanks for your reply BAM

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres an idea, try a rod and reel.

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to memphis net and twine, you can order via the net, You can buy one cheaper than you can make it. I use Bait cheese in a nylon net bag for bait. The best tip I can give you on a slat trap is to tie the door to the trap with a piece of nylon twine, after you soak the trap and get it water logged it sinks like a rock. If the door is not tied to the trap and you drop it, it goes to bottom and unless it's in shallow water is all but impossible to retrieve it.
    The best way I have found to soak a trap is to bait it up and tie enough weight to it to sink the trap. That way way you are fishing while the trap is soaking. If you are using the trap in current I prefer to tie off to someting solid, stump, tree, root etc. I use 20 to 30 foot of heavy nylon to tie off my trap. In a non current area just use a cinder block.

9. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's a great idea!
    When I wanna catch bait.
    But I got it down pat where I can catch more bait than I can use in a week, running 2 40 hook trotlines and 20 Limblines...and NEVER havta pick up a rod or cast net. We are in the process of trying to get it marketed as we speak, never know even a blind squirrell will find a acorn every now and then........Alternative fishing is where it at!

10. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Bam,
    by the way the fees have gone up here's the current regulation:

SLAT BASKETS​
    Holders of annual sport fishing license, Sportsman
    License, Lifetime Sportsman License, Jr. Fishing license,
    Lifetime Senior Citizens license or residents 65 and over
    (prior to March 1, 1991) or under 13 may fish with one
    slat basket, provided the slat basket is marked with a metal
    tag, obtainable from the TWRA for an annual fee of $8.00.
    Possession or use of more than one slat basket is prohibited.
    A slat basket is defined as a device used for taking
    nongame fish only. Slat baskets may have only one outside
    funnel opening and must be made of wood, plastic
    or cane slats which are placed lengthwise and so constructed
    that there must be a minimum of four openings
    in the catching area, each being at least 1-1/2" wide and
    6" long. ​
    Fish taken may not be sold!

Got that from the TWRA WEBSITE.....

I was just want'n to build me one like my grandad use too, it's more fun than buying one and theres a sense of acomplishment when you do catch a goodun...Thanks again for your knowledgable input BAm.....

11. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Jack,
    See I developed a method of gathering minnows,shad,ETC. by myself about 3 years ago. I can gather within 2 hours time an entire 5 gallon bucket full of minnows or more, so many I have had to figure out how to keep them all alive, which right now I must say I am at a 85% live ratio. I throw as many minnows back in the water as I use. The way I have my set-up 90% of the little minnows get away so I am just left with bait....You should come try Alternative fishing sometime, I think you would really enjoy yourself, who knows you might even get converted....Thanks for the reply

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am confused, are these baskets used for taking bait, or harvesting catfish?

13. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    These baskets are used for harvesting fish. In my opinion a rod is only good for taking bait if you don't want much bait. All I do is Alternative Fish, Limbline, Trotline, Jug (very little), Etc. but in a 18 hour period I am liable to use somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 dozen minnows some as large as your hand (6-8") I'm not against a rod and reel I always tote one, might need a bigger bream for a hook ya know. Trust me DON'T TRY ALTERNATIVE FISHING it's worse than that dope they talk about on TV...

14. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They work real good for channel cats if you use cheese for bait.there used to be an old man around Dyersburg that made the wooden ones and sold them.If you get one of the wooden ones be sure to keep them in water all the time.When I lived down there I had one I left in the pond when not in use.If you keep them wet they last a long time.