Slat Trap Help..

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Michael, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    I got a slat trap last year and have never used it due to not knowing what type of bate and how to use it. i wanta try to set it out this summer for some freezer cat. can any one help with bates and how to's?
    ill be using it in a river. here is a few pics of the slat ill be using

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Mike my first thought is to soak your trap for at least 3-4 days before ever baiting it. By soaking your trap I mean put it in the river that you intend to fish and let it set. When you are done soaking place the trap where you want it to fish. That said, soybean cake, soybean meal, whole chicken(without feathers) cheese trimmings anything that will get or is nasty will bring them home. Put any of the above baits in a burlap bag and lace shut, cut off excess bag. I've used dry cat food that has soaked in pan of milk in the sun for a couple days that worked well and it's cheap. Good Luck!
    Don

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Generally they're better in the winter, but you'll still catch fish with them. Find an area with a good channel, then try to get right on the edge of the channel. You may want to take you a pole or something and punch around on bottom, so you can try to find a spot that's relatively clean. Don't want to drop it in the debris on the bottom. Set it with the throat facing downstream. You can hang the bait in a bag or if it's the right consistency, you can just pack it around the throat. Either way works. Good luck! Make sure you check the regulations for slat traps where you're fishing. I know some states require a commercial license.

4. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    yeah i called twra and talked to them and i can use it on the river but only one per person and i have to order a dog tag from them to put on it . and they said the cats caught with it can not be sold.

5. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Never Used One But The Old Timers From Where Im From Said That They Use To Put A Tub Of Liver In A Sock. And They Said That It Worked Pretty Good

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    The best bait I know of is cheese. Around here you can get bait cheese in a 5 gallon bucket for about 12 bucks. You can pack it in there and it stays for a long time. I like it best because it maintains a high level of "stank", more so than anything else I've found.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    We always made bait bags out of 15" inner-tubes. Cut them 12" to 16" long and take a 1/2" hole punch and a block of wood. And use a hammer and punch to punch the holes in it.
    Then take twine and close off one end. And run line through the line of holes in the other end. Leave about 12" loop of line that is to Tye the bag in the basket.
    Fill with old cheese or bait.
    Always used and still have old phone cable (Black wire) and use 3 12" blocks to anchor the basket on 75ft of wire.
    WE used a drag ( 3/4" cold roll steel with a loop on top to Tye 1/4" 75ft of rope to and 5 toes or 1/4" bolts welded around the bottom then turned up this is to drag and catch the wire with) drop down and drag along the bottom until you catch the wire. This keeps it out of site and your the only one that knows its there.
    Best spots to fish one, Now near a mussel shell bed. And in close to the bank on a steep drop. The channel cats will fill one up. AS if you get one fish in there with eggs the rest will fill it after that one fish.
    Pete