slat boxes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by solomon, Nov 5, 2005.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Anyone here do any slat box fishing?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a slat box in the spring sometimes. Works great for eating size fish.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    :confused: more info please. i either don't know of these or heard different names. what are they (how do they work?)

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    slat baskets, slat boxes, slat traps, wood traps, etc... Just a rectangular shaped box made of wood slats with gaps between. Has two throats inside that lead to a holding area in the back where the fish end up. Has a door on the side towards the back to get the fish out.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    kind of sounds like a bigger version of my crawdad traps. nope. never used one . a guy i know caught a 51# flathead from a box trap. i think it was a little different than heses though.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Must have been. A 51 pound flathead wouldn't fit in one.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    try fishnetco or memphis net and twine as i think their online catalogs have pictures of them. (slat traps)

i used to use slats but now use wirenet traps exclusively. if they are legal where you live then id suggest them instead of the wooden slats. there isnt a single aspect of wooden slats that i know of that isnt surpassed by the wirenets. exponentially easier to use, handle, bait, check, carry around, etc etc etc...

any given day from fall thru spring ill always have at least a couple out in the water somewhere. one thing about the traps tho, speaking in generalities ill say the trap will either be slap full or empty. rarely do i find one with only a few fish in it. the take on a good day is about 10 to 20 eater blues or channels in around the two to four lb range. some baby cats too and the rare big fish. i do know of also much larger fish getting stuck in the throats of the traps. if you get a flathead in the trap its cause it was after a smaller fish already in the trap.

another thing is that trap placement is critical. you can move an unproductive trap just a short distance and hit the jackpot. move them around after a couple days in each spot till you find the fish. when the harvest slacks off then move it again.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. this was just a big wooden box they put in the lake for cover. then they swim down and feel in the box to check it.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Fish traps are prohibited in Missouri.

10. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    you can run traps in Mississippi but you have to have a commercial license. I've used the wire traps before, but I've always had problems with them silting in, which makes them real tough to get out. Last time I ran em this summer, one of them had three turtles, a mocassin, and a beaver in it, and it was full of sand. Ruined trap.

11. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I have used hoop nets before with great success. Check laws on mesh sizes and lengths. They work great here.