slap poles

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by catfisherman369, Apr 18, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    my dad used to cut green cane poles about 8 foot long and stick them in the mud about a foot where they hung over the water about 6 inches above water and when a fish was on the pole it would slap the water so he could hear it . he would run 40 to 50 of these a night off banks of kaskaskia with different baits . it seemed to work great and caught lots of fish.

2. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    iv heard of several ol timers who did this and yea they sure talk like they did purty good. id be afraid of hookin a good un tho and it pullin the pole out and possibly wrapin the line around sumthin an dien. idk tho. never tried it personaly. i gues that the angle of the pole to the water and the bank composition would make alot of difference

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Sounds like fun.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So were they actually bamboo cane poles?
    Been looking for a stand of them for a long time now.
    I'd like to have a bunch of them.
    Anyone know where they grow wild?

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    they was bamboo cane , really tough , he used to cut them off thwe side of the road near randolph county conservation . iam not sure if still there but used to be there by the thousands . i might go that way and see if so i will cut some but i sure aint running them like he did . hell that was work

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We've got some of it here. Grows like a tree.
    You dont want it.
    Once you got it , it spreads and there aint nothing short of a nuclear strike going to get rid of it.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmmm, that gives me an idea. My brother in law has a patch of bamboo about 8 X 30, running between the board fence along the edge of his property and his driveway. The driveway seems to do an excellent job of keeping the cane in place along that edge; I don't know what it's status is on the other side of the board fence, but the neighbor mows frequently, so maybe that keeps it down. Anyway, I've got a spot between my driveway and the north edge of my property that's about the same width, maybe 50' long that I would like to have in cane. Since there's only a big patch of woods on t he other side of that fence, I wouldn't have to be concerned if the cane spreads over there. And it should deter night prowlers from coming over the fence. I've got sawbriers running along the fence from about that point all the way to the back of the property. The only thing stopping me from giving that a try is the cost to get started. They want a small fortune for cane plantings! It's as bad as going to the gas station.. :angry:

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    try rooting some cuttings once the start youll have plenty, it grows everywhere around here

9. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    My father use to do the same thing when i was a kid. he would cut cane and put a line and split shot sinker on it. He then would spread them out down the creek bank. The next morning he would check them. He shoved them deep into the bank so that they would not pull out. He always caught a lot and that is the way we jhad fish to eat around the house.

I have a patch of Bamboo's that he started. Some are of good size right now but the do not spread out as much as they should because of the other trees they are growing around. I will thin out the other trees so they grow better sometime this summer.

Jerry, if you want some cuttings, then I will get you some. You can have some of the young ones and plant them. I will get you some and get them to you either by bringing them to degray or dropping them by your house the next time i go to the hospital to see mom.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats the first time I have heard of this sounds like a good fishing tool, be able to hear where the fish are, I may try that sometime thank you for sharing this with us.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks, Newt. While you're at it, if it's not too much trouble, I could use a couple more catalpa tree seedlings. The two out by the fence are doing ok, but the two closer to the house both died. Just bringing them to DeGray will be fine, if that's most convenient for you.

12. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    There are two distinct types of bamboo, as far as spreading are concerned. There are many species of spreaders and then a few that do not spread at all. A bamboo nursery guy told me about them. If you do not want the hassle of the spreaders, you can still have great big bamboo that does not crawl everywhere, just pick the right type. JFYI

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we used green cane poles like that, called em bank poles. we would try to put them in as thick of grass as we could find, so you couldn't see them. if you could see them, other people couldn't resist checking one if it was bouncing. we caught flatheads to 40 pounds on them and several channels and blues, and i don't remember ever seeing a fish pulling one out. you do have to drive them in deep.

14. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    To plant cane or bamboo get a green cutting and dig a trench and lay the cutting in longways. a new shoot will come up at each node.

15. raildan

raildan New Member

State:
    ca
    saw a old timer the other day with the same set up,i did'nt know what it was at the time.thanks for info i figure if the old timers are doing it it must be working.

16. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't know for fact, but from seeing where the guys are from that say they have a stand in their back yard, I am guessing we are too far north to find any bamboo. I wonder if some of those small cottonwoods or willows that tend to grow along the rivers around here would work if you found the right diameter. It would probably be a one time use thing, as they would get brittle as they dried out, but there are too many of them generally and it would be a good way to thin at least a couple out! I might try it if I find a stand of them and think of it this summer.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you'll do a Google search on the word 'bamboo' and either of the words 'cold' or 'northern', you'll get lots of hits, some showing varieties of bamboo that will handle temperatures down to 15 degrees below zero.