Slabs In the Cooler

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by fishnvince, Jan 18, 2009.

1. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    As January gets out of here most of the hunting Opportunities in Virginia are done for another season. Alot of guys are Slamming the Blue Cats on the James and Potomac Rivers. For me I turn my attentions to some fine Crapie fishing available here on the river and at a local lake. Slabs in the cooler, man not much gets better than 20 or 30 slabs on ice just waiting for the Pan. Lets here how, when and where you get yours.
    For me I like to jig fish deep structure in February. I use mini tubes in a Red and White Combo. 1/6 oz Jig head Round 4# mono or 2# braid with a Mono leader. I fish 15 to 30 ft around Bridge pilings and deep water rock piles or deepwater docks. I follow them into early spring as they transition into shallower water to spawn. Fine eating and fun for the kids. Minnows on slip corks or drop shoting minnows are great fun for kids as well as adults. When they get biting good dont forget to Take a kid or two with you. You won't regrewt it.

2. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks for the post fishnvince! i to love to fish for crappie here in north carolina! they are my favorite fresh water fish to eat! I love to go out to Jordan lake and caught some of the white crappie there! i am a big fan of jigging for the my choice of color are white and lime green! it drives them crazy! i also use the minnows! good luck out there and post some pics when you get them!

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I love crappie fishin and I like fishin for them deep, on brush piles, they hold there alot longer. I normally cork fish with minnows for them and this has been my best year yet.

4. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Crappie are fun to catch as you said. My kids jockey for position in the boat like Nascar drivers jockey for pole position.

I fish Jordan lake too. Some great memories have been made out there.

My favorite is a night fishing expedition. We tightline minnows under some lights and haul them in. Depth is key at night. Find the right depth and you'll get bit.

During the day I like jigs. At Jordan, I've found black and chartreuss works well most days. I switch it up some, but almost all the time use the chartreuss in there somewhere.

Attached Files:

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    We have a ton of brushpiles out. They range from 30 to 1 foot.This time of the year we usually catch them in the deeper brush close to creek channels. Even in 30ft the afternoon bite may be only 5 ft deep over the brush. We mostly cast jigs with tubes either 1/16 or 1/32 oz. When it gets slow we can catch on an alibi under a float. IMO the best eating fish in the lake. I'm hungry just talking about it.:smile2:

6. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    In the last week and a half my bunch has caught around
    130 crappie in less than four feet of water. The local lake is in draw down mode. We have had a blast. Good Luck!

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    great looking bunch of fish laura but better looking little fisher lady.reps to ya.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Vince, do you drop shot like ya would bass fishin? I mainly gig fish but always willin to try something different. The best fishing is right around the corner. I miss fishing the oxbow lakes of south ark. These lakes here are deep and clear. They hold crappie but not like down south.

9. 07_hemi_thunderroad

07_hemi_thunderroad New Member

State:
    north caro
    nice looking slabs anchorpuller jordan is a major hot shot here in north carolina for the crappie! i have found so many spot on the lake that i have ever been skunked on the lake!(with my fingers crossed) i well post some of the last pics of the crappie i caught later on tonight!!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like brushpiles, which mostly are beaver huts layed out into 25 foot of water on a local lake. I really like slip-float fishing,,, ice-jigs tipped with a wax worm. One of my fav. crappie jigs is a "Ratsu" the red ones!:wink: rollo

Custom Jigs and Spins is the company I get my stuff from!