Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Skylight replacement

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  canebreaker 
#1 ·
The weather cleared enough for me to get on top of the camper to remove the bathroom vent and skylight.
The ceiling was wet between the skylight and outer wall. Someone had replaced it with the 12" newspaper tile.

The skylight has lots of cracks in the mounting holes. Well some of the holes end up being about the size of a quarter, and a crack up the dome.
Now trying to match the skylight. From edge to edge it measures 18 1/2" x 21 3/4". I'm looking online at rvplus, campingworld and southavenrv. Southavenrv is about 2 miles from me. The closest I can find measures 18x26 which I think my give me a problem covering up the old holes on the short side. The next is 22x28. They all carry the same sizes, maybe the same brands. The inside cover is good.

#5 ·
I checked on sealers to use when I apply this new skylight to the roof. Camping World has some good prices on the "sales items". I pick out what I want, shipping comes to $14 for the order. My son has a Good Sam card so he orders it. Shipping is $13.

#6 ·
I made 2 purchases last week for my camper. The sealers were from Camping World. Part of it came from KY and part from CA. It was delivered on time monday and wednesday as tracking predicted by UPS.
The skylight was ordered from an ebay vendor in IN. Free shipping through Fedx with tuesday delivery. Tracking shows that the package was turned over to smartpost in Southaven this morning. I might get it tomorrow.

#7 ·
The sealers were well packed, no movement when shock. I think the craft paper weighed as much as the tubes of sealer.
The skylight was delivered today by USPS. It measures 19x22, the box is 24x30. The protective film was removed in shipping, I think. The package busted during shipping and retaped. No packing in the box. It has some scuffs on the top of the dome, it can be used so I don't have to wait for a replacement.
I sent the vendor pictures so he can make a claim.

#8 ·
I sent a message to the ebay seller about the condition of the skylight. I got a better packaged one yesterday. Now I have a spare.
I had 2 days of no rain with the temp in the low 80s. I applied the sealer to the bottom of the skylight and vent and laid them upside down on the roof. I first cleaned the area with mineral spirits then vinegar and a hot water rinse. I found some 1" phillip head screws with 1/2" diameter heads at the hardware for the skylight. New screws for the vent too.
The 4 tubes of leveler were laying on the roof. The first application went around the edge of both covers, second covered the screws, one tube. An hour later a second tube was used to level out the first application. 2 tubes left, if needed later.
Next morning the temp was in the high 70s by 10 am. I applied a good coat of roof sealer. At 2 pm I applied a second coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.