Skunks

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 1, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    We have a huge skunk population on our land and its becoming a problem. They are everywhere and the dog has been sprayed 2 times now. One crawled in the crawl space and blew its stink under the house, and they are eating TONS of bob white quail eggs. My dad has been shooting them with a .44 and Ive shot a few with a .22mag. There arent as many, but there is still a rediculusly large population. Its a strech to call any skunk cute, but i shot this baby skunk...with a camera.
    I didnt have the heart to shoot him. It was small enough he walked right through the chicken wire fence. We arent trying to kill every skunk in the area just control the population because the are becoming a nuisence. I enjoy watching the wildlife, even if they are skunks. thought i would share the picture, i watched this little guy do his thing for about half and hour, made my day

Attached Files:

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for the pic. hard to believe something so cute can smell so bad. is suprised someone hasen't suggested skunk oil for bait yet....lol.

on a side note, a lot of ag places sell big cat (lion, tiger) manure. the smell of predator keeps smaller wildlife out of areas you don't want them in.

3. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    we tried coyote and bobcat urine from the harware store, but all that did was make the smell near the house worse

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    skunks are like badgers- they know they're bad! and yes a skunk will fight just about anything.
    if it's legal in your area, drive around your property at night and spotlight them. they don't tend to get the message when a lot of them die, as other animals do. mthey just don't care.
    also, when you see a nocturnal animal in the daytime, be cautious of it, because it could be sick.
    our rule around here is kill every skunk you see, regardless of size. they are just bad news all around!

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Get a couple live traps & relocate them if you don't want to kill them. They're not too hard to catch.

When season is in you can skin them & get something for them, some of the more odd-colored ones can be sold for taxidermy, and can also remove their essence (with a syringe) & sell it as it's a popular ingredient in alot of trapping lures.

Smitty

6. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive had some interesting run-ins with skunks. Glad to see that you gave that little guy a sporting chance. Even if they do stink....they are still fun to watch.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    About the only thing I like about them being around is that they eat snapping turtle eggs- they love them. They typically are grub and insect eaters. My biggest worry with them is rabies. They can be notorious rabies carriers, along with coons. Coons out during the day usually have distemper. But if you see a skunk, be really careful. Do not let, if you can help it, your dog tackle it. Just had a little fox terrier we have come in 2 days ago skunked. He is sleeping in the barn now and can't understand why. Have you got civet cats too? Don't see them around here. John

8. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Never even heard of a civet cat. but we did have a serval cat from south america wonder into a local resturant. It was declawed and friendly, some one owned it illegally. Now it travels around with Busch Gardens in Williamsburg Va and the one in Florida and is now world famous:smile2:

9. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i once stubled within a few feet of a badger bafor i noticed it. i was carrying a bb gun and when i saw it i just got the heck otta there

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    smitty , how you deal with a skunk in a live trap bro.????????? i couldnt imagine. lol

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    just leave a big bag of cheap catfood out with a can of tuna over night and break out the 22. I think they are cute but can overpopulate easy. I wouldnt mind having one descented as a pet if my wife would let me. I had a cat once that caught a baby skunk & brought it home to raise as its own. That was not a good time.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I generally shoot skunks with a 12 guage. Go out at night with a light & blast away.

But if I'm in a sensitive area where I shouldn't shoot, then here's what I use for skunks. This is Zip. He just loves 'em and it's hard to keep him away from a skunk when he gets one spotted. I just turn him loose and let him have his fun. He may not look like much, but to skunks & cats he's BAD NEWS.

Attached Files:

13. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Them Guy are as easy to catch as a cat in a trap and they eat better, the fur is good for fly tieing and the skin makes a neat hat . If you bump the off gentaly or real quick they won't spray them selves while dieing Cook them just like coon or I hate to say it chicken. A big batch of skunk and dumplens is fine.
    Has enyone tryed that sent for catfish bait????
    BEwell MULE