1. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Fished for 7 hours yesterday within the Winnipeg city limits & came up dry.My son and I had two cats on up to the boat that got off, and that was it. Spoke to a shore fisherman, who said the action was super at Lockport. Next weekend...Lockport spillway. Have a great week!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Better luck next time. :big_smile:
    That seems to be the story for me this year. My biggest cat this year was a 7lb flattie.

3. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    We've had , for the most part, really good days up until yesterday...maybe because the water's so high??? People on shore were catching...we even moved in close to shore andd cast out , to no avail...oh well, there's always another weekend so long as you wake up on the right side of the dirt:eek:oooh:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    LOL! I hope we both wake up on the right side of the dirt...:wink::eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:
    Strange others were catching and you weren't. Maybe the bait choices. What were you all using?

5. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    We were using worms and shrimp. Same as the guys on shore...as I said we got a couple up close to the boat and one really big one broke my son's 25lb line, but usually we will carch anywhere up to 18 cats in an afternoon..not giants but in the 5 - 10 lb range...We're going to try this cured chicken livers next time...never knew how to do it before joining BOC.Have you had any luck with these cured livers? Also we were using circle hooks ( Gamagatsu), may go back to our old hooks. I 'm not sure but my luck seems to have dropped off since using circle hooks. My wife won't use them and routinely outfishes me . But then again she likes BINGO.

6. MBcatmaster

MBcatmaster New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    You should try cut goldeye, this year I've pulled 11 cats over 34" at the spillway using goldeye. I seem to catch only drum and bullheads on shrimp.
    Lately the cats haven't seem to be as aggressive and the average size of the fish is only about 10#.
    I'm having great luck with circle hooks, what size are you using?
    Good luck!

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You'll have them days sometimes! Welcome to the BOC crappieguy!

8. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    5/0 & 6/0 hooks. Never used things before maybe I'm setting the hook too hard or too soon? What are your thoughts.
    By the way have you been north of Willow Point Campground. Campground owner said that a couple of fellas were there early in the AM and by noon they had caught over 50 silver bass.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    With circle hooks the fish usually set the hook on their own in most cases. Atleast for me.:0a23:

10. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was hesitant to switch to circle hooks myself and when I finally did I did not regret it. Cuts way back on gut hooks and the fish will just about hook themselves.

11. MBcatmaster

MBcatmaster New Member

State:
    Manitoba, Canada
    The hook sizes are perfect, but the secret is to not set the hook at all.
    It's hard to gets used to, but I just leave my rod in the holder, and wait for the rod to have costant and steady pressure on it, usually once that happens and there is a good bend in the rod it means a cat is on.Then you just reel up and lift the rod slowly with a steady pressure. You just have to be careful that a cat dosn't pull your rod into the drink!