Skunked yesterday

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Mar 18, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i went out yesterday to a small lake me and my dad have been to,to fish for trout.Well he said there were catfish in there to so since it was close to home i thought id give it a try.I didnt get not one nibble,i used 5 different baits,liver,nightcrawlers,shrimp,dough bait and dip bait.now i know its a little early for dough and dip bait but i was desperate.nothing.
    Today i went to a defferent lake that i know has nice cats in and didnt get a nibble there either,i caught 7 or 8 small hybred strippers and a few bluegill on my bait pole.I guess its a little to early for cats or i need to use nothing but cut bait right now.dont know.

2. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm like you. I've been out 3 times in the last 3 days. All I've caught was a carp. I'm offering them a smorgasbord. A couple of small bites, but no fish. I'm actually a little frustrated right now by this. Sometimes I feel a little foolish sitting out on a bank for hours at a time with nothing to show for it. I know its about the experience and not about just reeling in fish. Still, I'd like to catch something for my efforts. Oh well, its not even spring yet. Its early. Fish on, Doug

3. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Me and bigcatfish64 went out a few weeks ago in northern indiana. We had several small runs and actually caught a small channel. We usually have the best luck up here near the end of april. We were getting our runs on small creek chubs. Normally in spring we have our best luck on creek chubs and cut bait (bluegills) when the cats start migrating back up in the river from the reservior. I would try cut bait, creek chubs or shad if you can get them. Good luck next time out!

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i figure its still a little early yet.i think im going to try some cut bait next time out and see if i can get something going.

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    We've been getting them in the shallows of the lake and the mouth of tributaries. using cut chubs and cut bluegills. All of em' had fat bellies from feeding on winter kill.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    a few runts yesterday, zip today. they were just pecking the baits.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Glad ya got out River Scum! I'm shooting for the weekend.