Skunked & Stung by Catfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by stumpjumper, Sep 2, 2008.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    "Location for members to share their success and failures"

First off, I am joking about the stinger thing. But, I did get stuck by the pectoral fin of a tiny Channel catfish that made me bleed like crazy. :confused2:

On a serious note, my wife and I went fishing for Flathead catfish on the Hiwasse River (TN) over the holiday weekend. During the day we scouted sections of the river for good structure and generally just relaxed. We were able to catch 30+ Bluegills with little effort each evening. We never caught a single Flathead! :sad2: We mostly tried shallow areas adjacent to deeper water with structure. We had baits placed in many different depths. Really, the same thing I always do this time of the year. There were a ton of boats on the water even after dark which may have been a factor, don't know. Regardless, we still had a great trip and I have scouted some very promising areas for next weekend!

Attached Files:

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Ouch! I'm one of those wussies that wears gloves. :smile2:

I'll have to dig in the memorybanks,of my many skunkings. :wink:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been stung many a time since I as a youngster. If you add em up I'm older than..... LOL

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    If you get stung by a cat, rub the cut on the belly of THAT fish. There is something in the slime that takes away the sting and helps stop the bleeding.

I don't know what it is, but I have found this to work, even if it is Mind over Matter, I am going to use what works and in my experiences, this has worked...

Tight lines

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i reached down to grab a smaller channel a kid had lost right at the bank before it got back in.i went to throw it back behind us and it stayed.i was sure i let go of it,and to my surprise,i did!!!
    i stuck the fin in my wrist about 3/4 of an inch.didn't hurt til we got about 4 blocks from the hospital and the excitement wore off.then it was that dreaded thumping as the heart pounded.the doctor at the hospital got it out,barely,he almost took half the skin with it,but hey,it was worth saved that kids fish for him,lol

6. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
  7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    From the reports I've seen, a lot of people had not so good trips in GA and TN last weekend (including myself), hope y'all have better luck next weekend!

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Better luck next time. Didn't catch a single flat last weekend either but came away with some channels

9. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy, he stuck you good! Too bad the hatchies weren't biting. Rest in peace Jerry Reed...

10. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    sorry to hear about the skunk marc..better luck next time..:wink:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Fish 1, Marc 0! :smile2: Hey Marc its good to hear that even you get skunked once in awhile! :wink: Makes me feel better for all the poor trips I experience! :eek:oooh:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    MARC,

Just stick to flatheads and they'll never fin ya:smile2:.

I still have a scare on my hand from being finned by a channel 20 years ago:sad2:.