Skunked on the lower rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Since our local Pee Dee is still somewhat high, we decided to give Georgetown a try today. We fished the lower Waccamaw bridge area to start with. The water was VERY MUDDY, and the tide was rippin'. Nary a bite! Finally eased over to the lower Pee Dee bridge area. The water was not muddy, and we had high hopes but once again, NO bites. Water temp in the lower Waccamaw was 49/50 degrees, and surprisingly enough, water temps on the lower Pee Dee was 53+. We fished with live and cut eels, shad, and mullet, and couldn't beg a bite all day. It got quite breezy in the afternoon, which made conditions rough to fish in. I was feeling pretty inadequate until other folks reported in that no one was catchin' much across the state. I'm guessing that the fish haven't become adjusted to the unstable temperatures we have been having lately. The bite should pick back up real soon. Got checked by the DNR as is customary in Georgetown. Fortunately, we were in compliance. Even when we are in compliance, those young DNR guys make me nervous. They always seem to ask ridiculous questions to try and get you to lie about something. The older DNR guys are mostly pretty cool. Either way, I'm glad to see the DNR out doing their job. RARELY see a DNR official anywhere around here. Probably been 25 or 30 years since I have been check by a game warden, until we started going to G-town a few months back.

Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The bite seemed to be slow for a lot of folks yesterday, Bill. All of that high cold water seems to calm things down, doesn't it? Get 'em next time! :smile2:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bill, I am sure you will be on the fish soon. That muddy water is pretty stuff.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the dnr is a rare site here in the upstate also bill, talked to 2 on greenwood 2 weeks ago and they said they wouldnt have been out if a boat wasnt stuck on a sand bar so they werent checking anybody.

5. narcdcso

narcdcso New Member

State:
    sc
    Well I'm glad I am the only one with no luck today. Put in at Bucks port and fished Bull Creek and Big Pee Dee. Not a bite. I sure could use some help learning this part of the river any takers give me a call. Have 18 ft cc key west and plenty of gas.

6. narcdcso

narcdcso New Member

State:
    sc
    can someone please tell me when the peedee catmasters has is's meeting in florence. I want to go so I can maybe learn something...

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  8. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Bill i guess that you couldn't pay them to bite, :wink: it works out that way sometimes:cool2::smile2::wink: