Skunked on aluminum foil

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by grizzly, Aug 23, 2006.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Went yesterday and put out about 110 hooks out with aluminum foil with no luck. Not even a gar, nothing. Also put out 40 baited with goldfish and only had about 7 or 8 baits missing. Guess it was a bad night to trotline. Is it possible for the water to be to clear for aluminum foil to work? grizzly

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't thought of trying the foil but I have read it works. I don't do trotlines though, maybe I will try them sometime but for me it the fight I like. Better luck next time.

3. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I've never tied the foil but it looks like it would work better it clear water exspecailly for a predator fish:roll_eyes:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Each state has different regulations governing fishing. Here in Oklahoma, I have set trotlines with silver hooks and had fish on before I could bait the first hook. Our laws state the trotline must be a minimum of 3' under the surface, except where fastened to the bank, then it must be 3' under the surface within 6 feet of where fastened (Guess this was put in for the water skiers - LOL). There is only a few lakes in OK where you can set your line 4' under the water and have the necessary reflection off the tinfoil for it to entice the fish. I know it is a good idea, and I know it will work...but it has to be under exacting conditions. For those of you who can, try this once in your lifetime. LOL

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't know what it is. Last weekend I didn't do any good either.

It could be the water is too hot but can't prove that has anything to do with it.

I have fished the foil in brown water and done well and also in clear water and done well. Using weights, I have had the foil down to about 12 feet and caught fish in clear green water.

This puzzle requires more study, and fishing.

Robert

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey Metal i've noticed a change in the thermocline the past couple of weeks..these showers were getting must be putting a little oxygen back in the water and the water temp has dropped 5 degrees..might try your lines at 8-15ft......that's where i been getting e'm.