Skunked on aluminum foil

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by grizzly, Aug 23, 2006.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

Griffithville, Arkansas
    Went yesterday and put out about 110 hooks out with aluminum foil with no luck. Not even a gar, nothing. Also put out 40 baited with goldfish and only had about 7 or 8 baits missing. Guess it was a bad night to trotline. Is it possible for the water to be to clear for aluminum foil to work? grizzly
  2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I haven't thought of trying the foil but I have read it works. I don't do trotlines though, maybe I will try them sometime but for me it the fight I like. Better luck next time.

3. john barber

john barber New Member

north carolina
    I've never tied the foil but it looks like it would work better it clear water exspecailly for a predator fish:roll_eyes:
  4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

Guthrie, Oklaho
    Each state has different regulations governing fishing. Here in Oklahoma, I have set trotlines with silver hooks and had fish on before I could bait the first hook. Our laws state the trotline must be a minimum of 3' under the surface, except where fastened to the bank, then it must be 3' under the surface within 6 feet of where fastened (Guess this was put in for the water skiers - LOL). There is only a few lakes in OK where you can set your line 4' under the water and have the necessary reflection off the tinfoil for it to entice the fish. I know it is a good idea, and I know it will work...but it has to be under exacting conditions. For those of you who can, try this once in your lifetime. LOL
  5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

I don't know what it is. Last weekend I didn't do any good either.

It could be the water is too hot but can't prove that has anything to do with it.

I have fished the foil in brown water and done well and also in clear water and done well. Using weights, I have had the foil down to about 12 feet and caught fish in clear green water.

This puzzle requires more study, and fishing.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

Booneville AR
    Hey Metal i've noticed a change in the thermocline the past couple of weeks..these showers were getting must be putting a little oxygen back in the water and the water temp has dropped 5 degrees..might try your lines at 8-15ft......that's where i been getting e'm.