Skunked in St. Louis

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Apr 29, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I put in at Columbia Bottoms and motored up to the Alton Dam. All gates were open and the river was flowing pretty heavy. Caught plenty of bait, but couldn't get it down deep in the big river right by the lock -- 12 ounces of weights weren't enough. Then we tried to post up on a few dikes from there to the confluence and didn't have any luck. Spent more time trying to position the boat versus fishing......probably due to my lack of experience with the high water. We did try one spot on the Missouri and there was just too much grass getting wrapped around the line to do anything.

I saw several boats out there. Any BOCers???

In the high water, do most of you try to anchor on top of the dike and fish the baits on the drop or do you still try to fish in front of them?

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's for the report.J.D.

3. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I was out with a friend, 16' Blue and white deep V.
    We caught a few drum and 1 channel and blue cat. Pretty slow going.

Water is up, very muddy, and full of debris. The good news is we had surface temps of 60-62 degrees in various spots.

As for wing dams during high water..... it beats me. I don't have high water fishing figured out, so I just try to find current breaks and deeper spots where I can avoid the super fast flow and some of the debris.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    we had a tourny at Weldon Springs yesterday. I can tell you the 1st and 2nd place boats caught their fish in the chutes around Howell Island. I had to look for those areas where there was no trash coming down. They were hard to find but I managed. Wound up with 4 fish weighed 40 lbs. My big fish was 14 lbs. First place was 3 fish 90 lbs. Big fish was 55lbs. I got 2nd. It was and always is tough fishing when the river is high with lots of debris.

5. natefishing

natefishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    boys be careful watch out boys be careful try backwater boys at glassgow,mo but lauch at booneville,mo boys good fishing