Skunked Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by david.lay25, Oct 7, 2008.

1. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    fished 3 hours sunday evening skunked again, 3rd week in a row not even bluegill. did have a friend catch a nice saugeye on saturday, problem with that is it has no whiskers. another thing to add i walked into the middle of the river just above my ankles its down 3-4 feet. just hoping my other dayton buddies r having better luck.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds frustrating bro, looks like we are supposed to get some good rain tommorow, hopefully will get the rivers up and moving a bit to improve the bite some.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on just getting to your fishing hole, that has to count for something. I sure will be excited once I get back out there.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know where your coming from. Seems with this low water on the GMR the fish have turned off and the turtles have turned on . Past 3 times out nothin but turtles. Are the flats gonna turn on in the GMR at all this year:roll_eyes::tounge_out::confused2:

5. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I feel your pain, the turtles robbed me blind last night. Tons of beautiful bait and not even a channel...come to think of it I have been skunked the last 2 times out. It's called logging hours in my book.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have been skunked for a few weeks now . i landed my pb , then nothing since. not even turtles. did catch a 2.5 pound smallie today on live sucker on the bottom.

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    HOW COME THE FISH IN THE RIVERS ARE NOT BITING IF I AM CATCHING SO MANY IN THE LAKES. ARE THEY SO USED TO THE CURRENT THAT THEY JUST SHUT DOWN OR IS THE BAIT CONCENTRATED IN ONE AREA AND THAT IS THE ONLY PLACE THEY ARE BITING. I KNOW SOME OF YOU ARE JUST AFTER FLATS BUT EVEN SO YOU WOULD THINK A CHANNEL WOULD TAKE THE BAIT ONCE IN A WHILE. DO YOU FISH FROM A BOAT AND HAVE THE ABILITY TO MOVE EASILY TO MANY DIFFERENT HOLES OR FROM LIMITED ACCESS POINTS WHERE MOVING IS A PROBLEM. IF FROM THE FORMER CAN YOU DRAG BAITS OUT OF THE BACK OF THE BOAT TILL YOU RUN INTO FISH AND THEN ANCHOR DOWN AND FISH THE POOL LIKE WE DO SOMETIMES IN LAKES. NOT TRYING TO BE A BOTHER JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND.

8. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the rain Wednesday morning I fished the GMR and caught a 34 lb flat within 10 minutes. I could tell it was a heavy fish, but he only gave me one small run on my drag. The rest of the fight was him shaking his head. Then sat there for another 2 1/2 hours without another bite. At least the turtles weren't a bother. Dogcat and I went to the same hole Friday and again, within 10 minutes I had another, only it was a great great grandchild of the first fish, only about 2 lbs. Then we sat for two hours and battled turtles and snags. We fished with gorgeous bait, bluegill, shiners, golden shiners, creek chubs, and body parts from CEOs in the mortgage industry. (I wish, lol)

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    WHERE DO YOU GET THEM BODY PARTS I'D LIKE TO FISH WITH SOME

10. cali2ohio

cali2ohio New Member

State:
    Milford, OH
    floating down the ohio river probably