Skunked, but I need it so badly!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by jerryb, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This past Sunday it was supposed to be sunny (never happened) and in the 40s (not around here, anyway), so I figured I'd go out and hit some spots just for the fun of it...

Started to go to Mohawk dam, but on the way decided to take some li'l dirt roads off the side and see where they led. Ya'll know I'm no expert, nor even halfway knowledgeable, but I think I may have some stumbled onto a couple of possibly decent spots, at least for some channels/small flats? I didn't have my camera with me or I would have taken pics, I'll try to get some maybe this weekend..

Anyway, even if the spots turned out to be totally useless, it was great to get outta the house and actually get a line wet!!!

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    alot of finding new spots and learning new area is going out and scouting jerry. sounds like you are on the right track! we will have better weather one of these days, and im sure you will stumble upon a pot of gold if you are out paying you dues like it sounds...:big_smile: rollo

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad you got out Jerry, I gotta tell ya I think I have hiked more miles with equipment looking for fishing spots then I did when I was in the Marine Corps!:smile2::eek:oooh:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a fun day out and maybe some new spots to catch some fish. Good luck on the new spots.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The harder a spot is to get to the fewer people fish there also.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Be careful when you post pictures that you don't give away location. I have heard that there are lurkers here who will up and steal your spot. Nothing worse than to be thinking about weekend fishing on Wednesday, catching bait Saturday morning only to get to "your" spot at 2 pm and find a camp already there!

Come see some of us down this way. We'll get you a flattie!

7. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Keep lookin Jerry. Scouting can be just as fun as the fishing. I've been fishing the same stretch of river for two years and still make time to scout.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    At least you got out and tried. My first trip this year was a big skunk. It'll get better...I hope!:smile2:

9. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, guys - but to be honest, it wasn't like I was out exploring in the deep dark jungles of Ohio... I took some roads that I'd normally pass right by... did get a little concerned on one stretch, tho - my Taurus wasn't made to be 4 wheelin'!! :smile2:

Shawn, I won't go into any details with pics or descriptions on the open board, but once I get 'em I'll probably PM a couple of you that may be familiar with the area to see if I'm on the right track...

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't worry Jerry, anywhere between here and Coshocton county is futile! lol I have tried them all, several times. Your right' you will get a channel or two, if you are lucky. I swear though, we have the best sucker and carp waters in the state. Oh yeah, don't forget the small mouth.As far as big flats go, forget it..................:roll_eyes:'

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Jerry if ya need a flathead hole don't ask Jack for any spots. So far his "flathead " hole has produced my biggest bowfin and hellbender. :smile2:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    watch that guy named jack!!!! he knows some jack and might just lead you to a turtle heaven!!!!!!:cool2: rollo

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry Jason, I thought that was all you could handle! lol When you get a couple of more years practice I promise I'll show you the real good holes............:wink:

14. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dunno, guys - Jack's turned me on to some really hot spots on the Kokosing... well, they will be when it warms up. That's what he said, anyway.
    :roll_eyes:

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack will help you out. the areas he can show you are closer to home for you, however... if you wanna come down for a trip here, im sure I can put you on some good fish, along with some others here...rollo

16. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jerry i hear you there brother i like catching fish but a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

17. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Jerry, why don't you bring your pics and story to our sinker gathering to give us something else to discuss!:big_smile: