Skunked, but a great day !

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by koakley1, Apr 6, 2008.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I got home from Iowa Friday about the same time my daughter got home from school, her first words to me were not welcome home or I missed you, they were "can we go fishing?". I had planned to go any way but I let her think it was her suggestion that led us to go.

We started to get things ready that evening. Pulled the cover off the boat, charged the battery, and dug for worms. The next morning we packed some sandwiches, loaded up and headed to Cedar valley Lake near Garrnet.

The 30 mile drive was filled with talk of how many fish we might catch and if they had the porta potties at the camp grounds yet (very important to a 10 year old girl!). When we arrived at the lake a park worker was trimming trees and waved us over and started telling us where the crappie hot spots were and where they have been catching channel cat. We thanked him for the information and headed for the boat ramp. Oh, and with a sigh of relief from my daughter, the porta potties were in place.

I got the boat into the water with no problems, tied off to the dock and parked the the pick up. As I was walking down the walk to the dock my daughter was standing slumped over and crying. I rushed to her and asked her what was wrong. She pointed to the boat, I looked over the side and seen 4" of water and half a dozen geysers coming from holes where rivets used to be. I stood there scratching my head, confused because it was water tight last fall when I parked it for the season. I replayed the trip to the lake in my mind trying to remember if I hit any big pot holes but couldn't think of any. I got snapped out of my dazed state of being by " Um Dad..... Dad....it's getting worse."

After I got the boat back on the trailer we decided to fish from shore. Over the winter my daughter wanted to retire her old spin cast rod & reel and get a spinning combo. I spent the next couple of hours helping her learn to cast it and how to avoid line twist and how to work different lures. then she wanted me to show her how to tie Knots and make leaders.

We went on to fish for another 3 1/2 hours with out catching a fish or even getting a bite, and with the boat trouble in the beginning of the day you would think that we had a bad day, but this was probably the best fishing trip I have ever had. My daughter wanting to learn to fish instead of just being along for the ride was very special to me. Hopefully her interest will last and I"ll have a good fishing buddy for years to come!

Now I have to get out side and fix that boat!

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks for the story Kevin..

Its great to see kids involved and loving the great outdoors.

Good luck fishing!!

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the story! Reps to you brother!

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Thanks for the report. My eleven yr old daugter ask if I would take fishin thiis coming weekend, wich stumped me but was great to here.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thank you for a great story, of a great trip! Do you think some water might have frozen, and popped those rivets loose??

6. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats a cool story. Amazing how seeing your young learn what you love overshadowed your boat problems.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YOUR SPIOLIN YER GIRL BRO...:wink:!
    She's hooked ....... Your smilin to proud even if yer boat aint floatin!:cool2:

8. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    that trip was truly priceless.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You are a truly blessed man and nothing will replace what you experienced on this day. Congrats on the experience and I hope you get the bugs worked out of your boat!