Skunked at the lake

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Creteus, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I just don't understand whats been going on lately. Maybe its the water changing or the weather. I don't know. I do know that we went to the lake Friday with every kind of bait that you can imagine. we were using 14 poles with cut bait, dough balls, shad, bluegills, and liver. we left the poles in the water 24 hours a day all the way until today. Not a single bite, not one. I couldn't belive it. How bout you guys? Anyone having the same problems?

Matt

2. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    We went out for a good 14 hours useing eel and cut shad and only caught 1 channel.I dont know whats going on, i have had some luck earlier this week nothin big tho.I guess you cant catch them every time.Hell i just love being out there even if you dont get nothin its just beats sitten at home.Sorry you didnt get nothin all i can say is just keep at them the bite will pick up.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wow, that ain't a lot of fun.

I have had days where I catch 12-15 nice fish and then 1-2 the next day. Usually it is time of day with me. Some days morning are better and the bite will fall off around noon. Sometimes the mornings are dead and then it picks up in the middle of the day, but I can usually blame this on the lunar phase.

Not sure why NOTHING is hitting your bait. It may be high water temps driving the cats to deeper water. If you are casted near the shore, then noise and excessive motion along the shore may be keeping wary fish away. If the area is heavily fished, there may be a particular bait the fish are "addicted" to. This can happen at "pay to fish" catfish lakes where pack baits are used.

Last, if could jsut be a bad place. For some reason below the surface the cats may not be swimming into that area. Maybe there is something treally nice for them to eat around the next bend. If this is true, then you may be forced to find some better bank to fish.

I know it is not an answer, but maybe it will give you something to think about.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Used Wicked Sticky on Looper Rigs Friday night, and the fish wouldn't give me enough time to light a smoke!!! Took home a 5lb channel, and tossed the 6 or so little fiddlers back in to the lake for next year.

Ray

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    been slow here for me too. not that bad though. wow. thats a lot of bait and rods for nothing. that sure make for a slow weekend. maybe the bass were biting. lol.