Skunked again.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, Jun 19, 2008.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    At least I was able to catch some bait tonight. Caught a nice bass too, while I was fishin' for perch. I had my youngest boy with me or I'd still be out there waiting. I think I'm going to try my luck below Truman dam Saturday night. Looks like they're going to be running plenty of water. I have to be out that way for a family reunion so might as well give it a try. It'll be nice to go fishing with my brother too. Haven't done that in a while.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good luck Chris.

About a month ago my brother and me got to fish for a day something we had'nt done in yrs together.
    It was a good day and we even caught a few fish.

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I like to take my son with me but he's only good for about 2 hours tops. No matter how good or bad the fishing is... no matter how far you drove to get there he's bored in about 2 hours. He always wants to take the big bass boat cuz he likes to go really fast. Usually this time of the year I fish little public lakes or private ponds.Last year I put him on a bunch of surface feeding channel cats and he caught 35 in 2 hours. He was in a hurry to get home. When I was a kid if I was catching fish like that you would have had to drag me away kicking and screaming. I would have stayed all day and all night. But my kid hasn't ever caught the bug.

4. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Well, I had a good night of fishing at Truman Dam. Didn't catch anything but, both of my brothers, my wife, my oldest boy and my niece went down with me.
    My wife and the kids had fun catching the bait for us. We coulda had a mess of crappie, that's all that came up in the bait net. Too bad they weren't biting, maybe the net scared them off.
    We had lots of bites but only one taker. Wouldn't ya know, it would have to hit the one rod I didn't have new line on. My youngest brother doesn't fish much and doesn't have any gear so I borrowed a rod from grandpa so we'd have enough for everyone. I should have taken the time to run to the store and get new line for it (hard tellin' how old it is.) but we were behind schedule already. There must have been a decent sized something on there 'cause it bent the 8 foot rod over pretty well. Line only lasted about 30 seconds before it went SNAP. Oh well, the good news is...
    Before I left this afternoon grandpa told me I could have the catfish rod I had borrowed the night before. It's an older Berkley 8' MH rod. On the rod is an Ambassadeur 5500 C3 reel. I'm going to get new line for it before I go out again.

Attached Files:

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ya got a good deal there i tell ya. my grandad wouldn't part w/ any fishin gear until he passed years ago. if ya acted right you could go w/ him and USE anything he had but no keepin it. get that new line on it then get back there and get that hawg !!

6. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I got some new line on grandpa's ol' rod today. Went out to the lake this evening. I took my oldest boy with me. Even the bait was slow biting. In about 45 minutes we caught 4 small green sunfish and one good sized bluegill. I got all the catfish rods baited and in the water. Sat there about 45 more minutes and a big storm blew in(heh, weather said 10% chance tonight, that's my luck). I waited until the very last minute to reel the rods in, but didn't even get a nibble. On the bright side, I only lost 1 hook, sinker and swivel this time.:embarassed:

I might have to save up and buy in bulk next year.:crazy::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

I also learned that I'm going to need some practice with that new baitcaster. I didn't make a mess out of it but it/I needs some fine tuning.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is no better way to spend time with family than taking them fishing, the fish will bite soon enough and that will be iceing on the cake. Good luck

8. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    My wife had to go to Topeka yesterday so rather than sit around the house all day I decided to take all 3 of my boys camping. It was a chore but it was fun. I'm not sure I'll try it again real soon though. When the two little ones went to sleep I finally got around to some fishing. The oldest boy sat up with me.

I finally caught one! weighed 13.5 pounds, 32 inches long. The biggest one I have ever landed!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats. Nice Cat. The bigger boy in the pic reminds me of myself when I was younger. :big_smile:

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    where did y'all camp ?? i wish you would of let us know i would of liked to come out and meet a brother. good work on the PB !!

11. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Lyon State Fishing Lake. It was kind of a last minute idea. Would have been nice to have some company though. I'll probably do it again in a few weeks. Not taking all 3 boys by myself though, I don't have enough eyes!:smile2:

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i misread yer post. i thought y'all camped in topeka. heck i should of went there instead of manhatten. got NO action at rocky ford last night.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you would have got something if you would have taken your wife ha ha :dribble:

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    who me Gus ?? i aint got no wife !! i was at thestampede sun lookin for a wife for the night though !! :smile2:

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    oh i thought you was a married man with that big stout boy next to you ha ha i should just shut up now ha ha:wink:

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i was purdy much married but his mom didnt like havin just one feller i guess :confused2:. turned out to be a good thing though. i have got to do more fishin in the last 2 years than in the 6 i was w/ her !! a blessing in desguise. we still "get along" even though we split up :wink:

17. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    my dad told me never marry a bar fly no offence to any here:wink:
    because if you find them in the bar you will loose them in the bar :wink:

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    its funny you say that, she was a bartender.

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    rolling off my chair ha ha no offence sorry ha ha still laughing ha ha:tounge_out::wink:

20. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    You should come on down some evening. It's not too far from Topeka,about an hour drive. Got lots of good fish in the lake. Not too much competition either, most of the people I've seen there are after bass.