Skunked again

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by justwannano, Apr 30, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Well it happened again.
    Finally got time to try out my luck last night.
    Have had a head cold that won't go away so I haven't been able to go.
    Last night I decided to try fishin anyway.
    I spent 2 hours all by myself on a creek bridge just 1/4 mile from the skunk river.
    Creek was risin as evidenced by the foam and tree limbs floating down the middle of the creek.
    There was a full moon so I could see a little bit of what was happening.
    I cast near one bank where I could see small fish breaking water.
    Thought that might bring in a cat or 2.
    Tried worms chicken livers and dip bait.
    nothin.
    Tried the other bank where it looked like a beaver had been sliding down the bank last time I fished here.
    Still nothin.
    Finally gave up and drove to Oakland Mills.
    Several guys, maybe 10 all together, were snagging carp from the old powerhouse fishing area. One guy was doing pretty good.
    I watched him land 2 big carp 2 pound and a half cats which he threw back and several shad.Never seen shad snagged before.
    Someone had caught a couple of gar.
    Only 2 of the guys were bait fishing.One of them caught a 10 pound carp on shrimp. The other was using what appeared to be liver.
    A big gob about the size of a golf ball.
    Apparently he wasn't very sure of his bait choice because he switched to shad when 1 of the guys snagged a small one.
    Too many people fishing there so I left.
    Downriver at Falkners bridge campground 3 were fishing. Apparently they just got there. They said the river had dropped a lot the last couple of days.
    Went home just before midnight.
    Thought I'd try it sunday morn but cold was back and I had too much to do at home.
    I'm thinking about trying it one of these weekday nights after work.
    I've another spot in mind that might just be the place that cats get out of the still high river to rest and forage for food.

Hope yall have better luck than me
    just

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the report Bob,Keep um coming.J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

3. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not much luck around here, too windy and the only thing biting was bullheads.

4. handgunhunter

handgunhunter New Member

State:
    iowa
    not much luck around here

5. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Has your luck changed any? I was down at Okland Mills Monday afternoon. I caught a few small channels off of stink bait. A guy sitting on the dam brought in a small flathead with leaches. I hope to get back down there this weekend.

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Fished last weekend down near Boilston.
    Had one good hit but wasted,if time spent fishin is wasted, about 3 hours.Gnats were terrible.
    Some friends my wife and I are gonna try it monday.They talked my wife into getting a fishing licence. First time in her life she has had one.
    The friends have a cabin near Oakland. If the fish are biteing we'll have a stringer full.
    Took the boat to have it looked at. Water pump isn't working correctly.
    Next weekend I hope to be on the water instead of just bank--bridge-- fishing.
    best of luck
    just

7. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    My wife and I fished right by the boat ramp at Okland Mills this afternoon. We caught several small channels on stink bait but nothing else. My wife lost a decent fish that she said broke the surface of the water. I never saw it.

Is there a good bait shop around or close to Okland Mills? I was counting on getting some bait at the shop on the North side but it was shut down. I was really wanting to try some leaches today.

8. MonsterFlathead

MonsterFlathead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Better Start catching them they will be on the spawn soon, I know it sounds early but it's true. Ran diddy poles last night caught 31 kitties nothing huge, but after fileting some notice the eggs where really big which means they about ready to lay eggs. Once that spawn starts I put my Catfishing poles away and pull out my bass Rods. Won't pick back up until the post spawn. By the way this in central iowa and sorry I don't release my river or creek I'm fishing in nothing personal just don't want my granpappy to roll out his grave and whip my ass for tellin anybody his catfishin holes.

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Big Creek Outdoor Supply is about 3 miles back toward Mt P. On the Oakland mills road. North side.
    We caught 9 keepers and 6 or so lil ones.
    Sonnys and Premo dip bait. Didn't try anything else.
    best of luck
    just

10. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the info! I was asking around at work this morning and found out where it was.

Today I took a half day of vacation so my wife and I went and found big creek outdoor supply, bought some no-roll weights and some leaches and headed back to Oakland. There were a few people fishing next to the spillway and no one on the south side. We fished on the North side just down river from the oakland boat ramp. We didn't get anything there so we went to fish off the dam. I caught a 2 lb cat and a good size drum. My wife got skunked. My wife decided that she wanted a rod and reel combo like mine so I'm going to go get a new one!