Skunked again

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by biglope, Jun 23, 2009.

1. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, I have been trying to get a flathead at the spillwell here in Kansas now for 2 months. Still no luck, I do not even think that I am getting any bites, at least the fish do not look chewed up at all.

Last night it was 85 degrees, no moon, water was flowing at least 1500 cfm, water temps are around 80 degrees or so. that is on the lake that is. I was using smaller bluegill about 5" long, with a tri swivel with a 8oz weight and a 12" to 18" leader on the bluegill. I was fishing the whole spill well, it is a single tube.

So I need as much help as possible. Does anyone have any rigging ideas to help? I have fished this particular spillwell when they are releasing 120 cfm all the way to 4000cfm with no luck.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    TRY DOWN RIVER AT NIGHT,NEAR LOG JAMS

3. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was really trying to get some help for fishing a spillway. This particular outlet does not have a lot of access to the water down stream. And I only fish at night. from 9pm to 3am

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Maybe there are no flatheads there?

Fish for 2 months and coming home empty handed everynight only means one thing, YOU NEED TO FIND A DIFFERENT FISHING HOLE!:cool2:

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I'm having the same problem on the Neosho here in SE Kansas where there are historically large numbers of big flatheads at lowater dams in june and havent had a bite.

6. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I know that there are fish in here. i have seen them come out of here. I am fishing at the spillwell in Hillsdale for those in Kansas. This lake is known for large flatheads.

I guess I will just try a different tactic, while staying in the same location.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the persistence. :wink:

8. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Biglope, They are in there. You don't have to tell me where you are fishin' but if its Clinton, right at the end of the spillway walls next to either wall. Rig your bait so its about a foot off the bottom. Pomona, Same deal but you will have to be willing to lose rigs with all the snags and you can't fish off the tops of the walls so you have to cast from the bank.. If its not one of those, the other spillways in Kansas are similar. I would use 6"+ green sunfish for bait and fish late.

9. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    On another note. Sometimes the big Flathead down move much in there since there is plenty of food within reach. With the heavier current, you have to put the bait right in front of them and you will rarely feel them hit it. I keep my line tight and use a 8oz bank sinker at all times unless the current is stronger. I make sure there is decent bend in my rod. If you see the rod either let up or bow down more than usual, its usually a fish. Sometimes its hard to tell since the current keeps your rod moving. It took me years to realize I was missing alot of fish because I was waiting for the fish to take off with it. Sometimes they do. You also may want to try shortening your leader some. I use a 6-8" leader to my hook off a 3 way. I go even shorter if the current is over 1500cfs. Hope that helps you. Good luck.
    BTW, A friend of mine caught a 50 below the waterfall at Clinton last night. Thats a good spot as well.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Lot of lowhead dams around Pittsburgh here.I just fish em with live gills or chubs on a slidung rig with 5-8 oz no-roll sinkers.Try and find some little eddy areas in there.I,ve caught them right next to some VERY strong current.Stay in them brother if your SURE they,re there!:wink:

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just a thought...with it being spawning time I would try areas below the spillway. Perhaps there is a lower lake? I doubt their are any good spawning spots right in the discharge. Sounds like a better post spawn area in the discharge. If there is a lower lake look for timber laden spots close to the bank. Again, it's just a thought.

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Try using a fresh bluegill head. It is an easy snack that they will pick up even if they are not feeding and it leaves a nice scent trail. That's all I've been catching them on. Their just not in the mood to eat live sometimes.

13. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    Hillsdale is real hit and miss. I stopped fishing there but have caught a 40lb Flat out of there but it was early March on a twister tail fishing for Walleye. Try fishing where the outlet narrows up where the concrete and rocks end. They push baitfish up into the shallow water there. I have seen a few guys catch them over the years. Most of them have probably swam out of there back down Bull creek into the Marias des cygnes river. When Hillsdale shuts the water down, the big boys swim back down river. When more water releases start, they usually come back up but its a ways to the Marias Des Cygnes so they really need to let out 1000cfs or more. Since Bull creek is pretty shallow and there are riffles and obstacles the cats can't pass swimming upstream. They are in spawn mode now so even though they are letting out water, very few will swim upstream into the Spillway. You may catch one still but I would head to Clinton or Pomona, they are catching a few out there and quite a few fish stay in the main channel up to the spillway even after they shut the water down. If you drive a bit further south down to osawatomie, you can fish the lowhead dam by the old creamery. There are some monsters below that dam.

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!! i think hereflattieflattie gave some great advise!!thanks for helping the new guy! thats great! i was new in april this year, you learn alot by reading the forums but only a few of the good guys will give solid advice!! thanks, shane oh, and good luck!!!

15. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all of the help I really appreciate it. I go to hillsdale because it is a 5 min drive. I can go to pamona if I want to drive 45 mins. and clinton is close to an hour away. Those lake are very hard to drive home at 3 am for me since I work at 6 am every morning..

I will try to shorten the leader and see if that helps. I will also try at the end of the spill way. I am not afraid to lose rigs so thats not a big deal to me. I would try on the lake I just have no idea of where to start at

16. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Matt, another idea is to see if you can get some river worms from the local bait store, the key is, put a bunch on your hook, like 7 or more of them and only hook each one twice so they dangle. You want a gob of them about the size of a baseball. That works sometimes this time of year. You might know of this link but here it is, it tells you how much water the lakes are letting out and tells you what they are letting out 3 days out. Hillsdale is letting out 800cfs which is perfect, I bet there are still a few big ones roaming around in there. Good luck.
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/WaterManagement/ThreeDayLakeForecast.cfm

17. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    well guys I went back out last night, and I almost got one in. I actually got 4 fish to take the bait last night. One seemed like it was fairly large but never saw it. He took a 8" bluegill and swam up the current and I still could not turn him. Fought him for about 15mins before I lost him, 100lb pro line against a rock, rock won.

So All in all, I am happy at least I finally got a bite. I did move down from the wall and for those of you that know Hillsdale, I was on the stairs that walk down to the water. I threw out to the fast stuff and 20 mins later the fight was on. I am going back tonight to try and actually get one in.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I totally agree. Try up river a bit more where there's lots of cover, maybe some Eddy's?

19. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Matt, one thing I was going to ask you was how you hook your bait? If you are missing fish on the bigger baits, try hookin them thru the lips. Hope you ended up getting one.

20. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have tried both, however I seem to get more bites from the back. How would hooking through the lips help to me it seems that it is much harder to get the hook out of the position then the back. This is just my opinion.