Skunk

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by sds888, Jul 9, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Well lets just first say I dont deal with skunks. Where I came from we didnt have em. They are all over the place up here. I didnt put skunks on my buisness cards or on my truck for a reason but sure enough sooner or later I would have to deal with one. Today was the day. I was in church and a older gentleman came up to me and said that he had been trying to trap groundhogs with apples and had gotten a skunk. He asked if I would come and remove the skunk. Of course I told him I would. I then couldnt keep my mind on the preaching because I was trying to remember how I was taught to get one of those things without getting sprayed. Well I went over right after church with a large black plastic sheet and put it in front of me and slowly approached the cage put the plastic over the cage and opened it. Well the skunk wouldnt leave the trap so I went back and got the plastic off of it held it up and went towards the back of the cage and as I got closer the skunk just slowly went about his way. Well it was successful day not getting sprayed but I dont care what anyone says that was nerve racking for the first time. The skunk was more calm than I was. LOL well just thought I would share.
    Stephen

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Interesting..Thanks for sharing. I was fox trapping and got a skunk in a fox set and what I do that works for me. Just talk to the skunk like he is a kid as you walk around him. He will turn with as you go around him. I get close enough to shoot him in the spine and if you hit him right he won't spray. But if you think your not going to attemt that just make sure the wind is blowing away from you when you dispatch him. If you want to keep him alive just get a blanket and throw over him and tackle him and get him out and toss him and the blanket aside and he will walk away. Then bury the blanket...:big_smile:

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol.....you got lucky this time :tounge_out: I usually only catch them in my K9 (foothold) traps (once in awhile in a coon set), so I just unstrap the .22 rifle (scoped) & put 'em down from a distance. They'll usually go off, but that's just added coyote attractant....free of charge :wink: . If I kill one, I skin it (same with grinners), and skunk essence can be sold to luremakers......plus after skinning one, go straight to the local burger-joint & ask-out one of the waitresses......works everytime :roll_eyes:

About 8-12cc of acetone (in the lungs) from a syringe pole will put them to sleep pretty quickly too, usually with no spraying.

lol, I'd have liked to been there & seen you :lol:

Good job!
    Smitty

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    My only run in with a skunk was not so nice Just to give a quick picture two 19 year old boys on the Lake of Ozarks for a week one small house trailor my friend raised in K.C.Mo. myself in a small town and out in the woods some we heard a noise he grabbed a tear gas pistol me a 22 out we went something ran in a drain pipe he shot tear gas it came out and went down the road in what light there was I took aim teargas hit my eyes I jump shot animal in hip I think animal shot back SKUNK is worse then tear gas Dad and stepmother went to trailor month later still stunk insde so I say skunk is to be left alone

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    It was kind of neat walking up to him with the sheet because it was like I wasnt even there he was just as kept walking around in the cage. That was the closest I have ever been to a skunk and I am not sure I wont to get that close again. but it was another aventure in the life of a NWCO. Hope to have more stories tell as time goes on.
    Stephen

6. Ardiva

Ardiva New Member

State:
    Kenai, AK
    When AKwolf and I were livin in Alaska, we had lots of skunks around our house and our dog liked to mess with them...One day "Bud" messed too much and got sprayed pretty bad. The only thing that would get the smell off of him was to bathe him in straight tomato juice. Works wonders!

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Camping in Wisconson in the national foest is skunk heaven. We had them all over the camp site . They would just walk right thru in the evenings, They didn't notice us or bother about us. I don't like the becaause they can carry rabies without effecting them. It is not just the stink to worry about.

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I had five of them in my back yard last weekend. I've been trapping coons too in my backyard because they keep getting into my garbage. I'm up to 9 coons and 1 cat and I haven't checked it yet this morning. I wonder how long before one of them skunks gets into my trap. LOL

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey skunk actually i think for a kid sells pretty good. i saw in FF&G that it sells for about 6 to 8 bucks a fur.so it sounds good to me and i got skunk by my grounds. i plan on trapping it good!

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here's another good solution:
    1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 teaspoon liquid soap

Tony- Doubt you'll get quite that much for them. The region they (or any animal) comes from plays a significant role in value(s). 1/2 of the figures you mentioned will probably be closer to what you can expect to get from them. I think awhile back I'd included a copy of the Trapper & Predator Caller magazine with some things I sent you. If you look in the Fur Market Report, it'll give you more location-specific figures for your region, as opposed to 1 general amount.

Also, learn how to remove the essence (oil) from a skunk, as it can also be sold (to luremakers).

Smitty

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol, if it involves another stinker....I'll hope your next story smells as good as your last one! :lol:

Smitty

12. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do it exactly the same way. Better watch it though, if the word gets out that you know how to do that you might be gettin' a few calls to get rid of skunks. Been there done that. I don't know how many skunks I've live trapped and removed from Seymour, IN. I just cover the trap with a tarp, pick the trap up slowly and put it in the back of a truck and take it out the Maskatatuck National Wildlife Refuge and turn it loose. I've never had one cut loose on me with that method.

13. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you did good! You have to be real particular around those critters. I'll never forget the first one I ever shot, and I was 22 at the time, old enough to know better. I rode with my cousin to a dove shoot out in the country, where our folks are from. After the shoot we were heading home, but saw old uncle woodpecker sitting on his porch. We stopped to say hello, when he noticed a skunk across the road under his pecan trees. He asked that we shoot it which I promptly did with my scattergun, and a load of highbrass #8's. They rolled him over slick as a whistle, graveyard dead. Ole Woodpecker asked that we haul it away, so, I picked it up by the tail, and pssssst, a yellow fog erupted from the twin guns he was packing under that black, and white tail. Everyone ran off, and I was left holding the skunk. I had to ride home in the back of the pickup (30) miles. Had to leave my clothes out side to be burned, washed in tomato juice, (didn't work) and every good smelling soap in the house. Dishwashing detergent, and baking soda helped. Years later I became fond of it as a trapping scent for coyotes. Just lessons learned I guess. Good post, Thanks,, Jack.

14. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    haha, cant go wrong tellin skunk stories. i agree however about using their scent as an attractant. i have trapped 2 skunks(or pepe le pew) both at different sets and both took coyotes within a couple of days after. on top of that, i like to tan the largest of each species i catch to keep for myself, and youre darn tootin' i have a skunk pelt!