Skunk river-Oakland Mills

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by iabowhunter, Jun 2, 2007.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    My wife and I went down to Oakland Mills yesterday. We heard from the bait shop that a 30 pound flathead was caught. We also talked to a guy along the river who said that he had hit a 10 pounder. My wife and I were using nightcrawlers and leaches. We caught 8 channels, (kept 2) 1 flathead, 2.5 pounds, (released it), and a couple drum.

I am using 6/0 octopus circle hooks for the first time ever. It's hard to re-train yourself not to set the hook with those things, but once their on, their on!

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Next time it will be live bait.
    I got a surprise invitation from my son to go fishing last night. We got to Oakland about midnight.My daughter and her boy friend also went along.
    Wal mart sold 3 fishin licences last night.
    I was in charge of tackle. It was all mine.
    Didn't realize I had so many rods and reels. Unfortunately they wern't rigged until we got there.Then I had to do it.
    Not any time to prepare so it was chicken livers night crawlers and Premos dip bait.Anyway our total catch was 1 drum and 1 turtle.
    I tried the gut pocket from a drum another guy caught but had no success.
    There was a fella next to us that was using chubs and crawdads that did catch cats. About four in the 4 hours we were there. They were all over a couple of pounds.
    The same fella said he caught a nice 5 or 6 pound flat head before we got there.
    My minnow traps are in the creek now.

have a good one
    just

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Hi Bob. I took a half a day of vacation yesterday and fish off the dam at Oakland. Nightcrawlers, shrimp, and cured chicken livers. I caught nothing. A guy and his wife showed up and sat on the dam a few benches down from me. He caught a 3 pound channel with in 30 minutes. I had bought a drop net at Big Creek just for fishing off the dam. I got to use it...to bad it wasn't for my fish. I did learn something though. He told me how he hooks shrimp. He has a small crochet hook (smallest they sell I guess) that he bought in the craft section at wal-Mart. He ran the hook throught the shrimp, grabed ahold of the loop of his snelled hook and pulled it back through and ran the shrimp all the way down to the hook. He said they stay on alot better that way and had caught up to 3 fish on 1 shrimp. I'm off to the Wal-Mart sometime.

Speaking of traps, I need to get mine out too!