SKP 2000 clicker

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by sds888, Jul 9, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I just bought a SKP2000 of a guy for cheap at the flea market made two cast and the bait clicker stoped working I went in there and I can get it to work for about a cast then it stops again. Anyone know how I can fix this? Is the reel still ok to use with this broken? Thanks
    Stephen

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's funny you'd post this.....

I'd bought a new one, since I already had 2 new Abu's, I didn't want to spend much on a 3rd reel, and a buddy gave me a White Rhino rod, so I got an an SKP2000 for it.

I noticed the line-out clicker became "silent" after the 1st couple times I used the reel. I took the left-hand cap (where the switch is) off the reel yesterday & saw the little brass strip which engages into a gear when the alarm is placed in the "on" position. I pulled the retainer screw for the strip, cut about 3/16" off the end of it, rebent it so it would again ride on the gear when engaged. The "stock" piece is too flimsy to make much of a "click", shortening it up stiffens the brass strip & is now just about as audible as my Abus. It may take you a try or 2 to get the "bend" right on it so it will engage/disengage.

Hope this helps
    Smitty

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks I will give it a try. Will the reel still work ok if it doesnt have the clicker?
    Stephen

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the reel should work fine witout the clicker.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks flathunter

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    well did what you said 223 I think I did something wrong because the clicker is always clicking now. But I am not going to fool with it anymore cause I would rather have it clicking all the time than never. Took it out fishing yesterday and it cast far and smooth. It is the fatherest casting reel I have. well it is the only baitcast reel i have besides some for bass fishing. But that thing went around 200-210 feet in my front yard and then on the water with bait it probably went 175 feet. My only complainant about the reel so far is the clicker. We will see how it handles a week of fishing.

7. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Be sure when you put the endcap back on the reel, that you got the "tab" on the clicker engaged correctly into the slot on the selector switch on the endcap.

With the cap off, it took me a couple of attempts to get the thin strip bent to just the right position for it to catch the gear when engaged, but miss it when the clicker is turned-off.

You can operate the clicker with the endcap off, by pivioting it on the small screw that attatches it to the reel.

Sounds like either the alignment on the switch when you reinstalled the endcap, or the strip just isn't bent into the right position.

Hope this helps.
    Smitty