skips?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mandingo, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go to catch some skips closest to topeka?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I don't think you'll find them in any numbers in Kansas. Tennessee or Kentucky are probably your best bets.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Doug,thanks i figured i would'nt find any here but i did'nt think id have to travel that far!:crazy:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You can get them in St.Louis from what I understand.

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Caleb you don't have to go that far or even catch them for that matter, Doug and Josh have a bunch of them in their freezers that I am sure they wouldn't mind giving away.:smile2: Doug you don't want to haul any of those over here for the tournament the fish around here just don't like skipjack.

It is sad to say Caleb, but that is the closest that I have found to catch them in any numbers to make a trip worthwhile. I know that during certain times of the year you can catch a few up around Alton and the chain of rocks but if I were going to invest my time and money I would go to KY or TN.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Wherever you have to go its worth the drive if you know the conditions are good. They are a great day of fishing, comparable with an average day catfishing.

7. iusckeeper

iusckeeper New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Best bet is to head East

8. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Plan a vacation trip to KY Dam's. If you have to traviel far , Bring cooler's and buy dry ice. We'll fix you up. Just call on us!:smile2:

9. Keith@fishon

Keith@fishon New Member

State:
    Florida
    ...and consider keeping Gup & Mocat's (Fish On Bait's Missouri reps) number handy as a backup for some of our frozen herring. I'm hearing reports of decreased bait populations all across the country, and skipjack are included.

You'd think this would be music to my ears, but it's really not. As a fisherman I hate hearing things about reduced bait availability, mostly because if there is no bait around for my target fish to feast on, then they gotta go somewhere ELSE to feed!!

10. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Were going to KY. on the 8th. Can you make it to farmington, MO.?
    From here the wife and I will drive. Yes, this include's spenting a lot of time on the road for you. You can sleep and we'll drive to kentucky and back. Starting Friday night when you get here and returning Sunday morning by 3 am to farmington . Then your on your way back Sunday, when ever your ready. Don't worry about gas money to get from Farmington to Ky. and back to Farmington as we are going anyway. We don't take allot of carry on such as food and such. No room for the thing's we can purchase on the fly. Need the room for cooler's full of skipjack to bring home ya'know. Team work gett's it done and I'm ready to go!:cool2: