Skips

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by gregrn43, Feb 12, 2018.

1. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    Anybody tried for skips yet at pickwick?

2. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    It would be a little rough right now the water is about 15’ above normal and all flood gates open but when river settles down I’m headed that way

Tommy Pratt likes this.

3. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    Thanks for the input racer

4. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
  5. Panfish Bill

Panfish Bill Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man if this was mid April our dams would be packed full of ravenous flatheads!

6. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
  7. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    From the looks of my tva app, the water should be getting right. Now just gotta find a break in my work schedule to get down there

8. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    Made a quick trip to pickwick this past weekend. Fished 5hrs Saturday morning. Caught 27 to bring home, not what I envisioned but better than nothing I guess. Lots of people out on the water

SteveMcK likes this.
  9. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Hey guys I’m done with my annual white bass/spotted bass roundup. Finished today with enough in freeze to make it until next year. My next adventure is skipjack. Going to hit it hard as soon as the sun pops out for a couple days. Seen some chasing food this morning at my fishing hole about 20 miles below pickwick dam. A little sun water temp get to low 60’s and it will be better on. As soon as they start I’ll put the word out. Water temp today around 12 was 59. These fronts n Ed to get out of here so the weather will stabilize the water level is at the bottom of winter pool now.

BoilerCat454 likes this.
  10. BoilerCat454

BoilerCat454 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, Ga
    Name:
    David
    Thanks, Bro. I need to stock up!!! TL

11. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Went to pickwick today. They were running 48 to 60 cfm it was sunny and wind around 15 to 20 south. Fished around two productive hours and caught 25 some giants but most just perfect size. Water temp today was 60. With some good weather they should be on like a chicken bone. There was 3 guys next to me that caught four 5gal buckets in about the same time. Not a lots of people up and down the walk but those that were we’re catching a few skipjack also. I doubled twice and had doubles several time but one would usually get off. I’m headed back Monday and have vowed to myself to vacuum seal 200 by next weekend. I think I can get it done looking at the weather. The get garden planted a little landscaping around the house then Going to start chasing cats.

12. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    Thanks for the info racer. I'm headed there Friday morning after work. Thanks a bunch for the report?

13. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes. Thanks for the report racer. What were you using for bait? Sabiki, jigs?

14. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Hey guys went again today caught 50 in a couple hours. Might want to hold up after heavy rains during weekend river system has a ton of water headed my way. The river jumped a couple feet this morning and by Friday predicted to go up another several feet. Got flood gates open. Going to be some rough fishing I’m going to hold off until water goes back down. I’m old and retired and don’t want to try and fight the rocks and Fish. The are still not in there in force but I thing in s couple weeks you will be able to load some coolers quick. I only caught 5 doubles, 3 triples and one quad today. When there own doubles are almost ever cast. I’ll keep you updated on river condition. If you are planning on fishing out of a boat I would not want to be a part of that.

15. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Using sabiki rig I make myself

TennHaynes likes this.
  16. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Just looked at river update. Might be back down by weekend. I will give a update later in week

gregrn43 and TennHaynes like this.
  17. BoilerCat454

BoilerCat454 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, Ga
    Name:
    David
    Thanks Racer, looking forward to coming up.

18. racer5m5

racer5m5 Member

State:
    tn
    Name:
    put real name
    Ok guys river has started down and by Saturday should be good only problem is rain is moving back in by Sunday morning. 1” to 3” predicted between Sunday and Tuesday. It’s going to be sunny tommorrow and Saturday with plenty of current so they should be there maybe.

19. gregrn43

gregrn43 Member

State:
    NORTHEAST ARK
    I'm headed there in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed

TennHaynes likes this.
  20. TennHaynes

TennHaynes New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looking forward to the Friday evening skip report. :)
    Boy has my life changed. Never would have thought on a Friday night being excited to hear about bait fish.

SteveMcK likes this.