Skips

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Bigbluefisherman, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is there anywhere closer to load up on skips than Cumberland City? CC is like 9-10 hrs for me to drive, and I was hoping to find some place closer to home to get some. I perfer to fish from the bank, so I don't have to haul a boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's a tough one Matt. The Oklahoma guys get a short run once or twice a year bellow some of the dams on the Arkansas drainage, but it's a hard thing to plan on. If there was somewhere closer on the Mississippi, the St Louis guys wouldn't be making the trip to Cumberland City.. Skips are pretty thick below the Kentucky Lake and Barkley dams at times, but that is almost as far, and probably less reliable than the Cumberland City plant. Nothing is guaranteed, though, Cumberland City skipjack reports have been pretty sad so far this month.

3. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Where about is the cumberland city plant at ?:eek:oooh:
    is there any spot down there better than others.
    i never been there:confused2:

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    mike cumberland city is about 90 miles south of ky. dam

5. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Thanks Russ, that's where i though it was.
    might go there, we need some skips for Wheeler trip,
    are you going soon ?

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I plan on making a trip around the 4th of january down to CC.

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

Anyone catching any skips at CC?

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    it was pretty slow most of they day. There were a few timeas that you would have a good run for 30 minutes or slow but it was work to get a bucket full.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you boys that have to drive that far for skips need to find you someone that has some extra and willing to ship them to ya. it would be cheaper than driving 8+ hours. if i ever get on a good day or two of catching them id be willing to ship them to ya for the cost of shipping. that sucks having to go that far for them. it has just been a bad year for them around my house in eastern ky.

10. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Jeremy that is very thoughtful of you to do that for some one.
    if that ever happens i sure would gladly pay for the shipping plus a couple dollars.
    7-8 hours driving for skippies is work in it self. 14 hours total in one day phew.

11. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Can you legally ship skipjack???Not being rude just looking for the answer.Thanks

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Good Question ??? I dunno but heck they ship all kinda seafood with dry ice, and pet stores and such even ship "live" stuff I believe. You know I always wondered why you couldnt "raise em" or keep 'em in a big Aquarium, but I guess they would be hard to keep alive, no running water (current) etc..... Heck a guy could make a killin off guys like us if he started a skipjack farm and vaccume sealed them and shipped them all over the country.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There is a hot water discharge at Paducah Ky. It is accessable only by boat, as far as I know, but I believe there is a ramp on the Il. side of the river close to it. As you cross into Ky. on I24 look down river you will see the steam from the stacks. Like Cumberland City the action can be hot and heavy or slow, but it can save some of ya'll several hours of travel time.

14. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Been doing any good Latley?That's on the Ohio? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do belive you are supose to have a cemercial fishing lisence to legally ship skipjack, although I would say shipping some to a friend every now n then they would never say anything but if your selling off an auction or your own web site an shipping in bulk a lot then laws would be inforced I bleive.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the way i see it, it is not commercial if im not making a profit. so i can't see why it would be illegal.

if i caught a bunch of mahi mahi on a trip to FLA and one of you wanted me to ship it to you, and you were willing to pay the shipping i dont think that would be illegal.