Skips at Murray

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by 4Low, Apr 24, 2008.

1. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Alright guys and gals, I have a secret.........(shhhhhhh!!)
    The skips have arrived at Murray. I got into them this afternoon on the end of the island between the hydro and spillway. They are in the whitewater rapids above the submerged dike you can usually walk down during normal water levels. If you are familiar with area, you would be throwing downstream towards the "cut" in the rock dike, but you can't quite reach it yet. The water is rushing over the rock dike. Most of the ones I caught were on the hydro side of the jetty. I had to wade out knee deep to cast out far enough to catch them. What surprised me was the size of them. I'd say they averaged a pound or a few ounces more! None of the ones I caught would fit in a gallon freezer bag so I wrapped them individually in aluminum foil. After trying several different offerings, I did best using 2 jigs, a gray/black sassy shad on the end and a white tube jig above it. The current is strong and the water is not very deep above the submerged jetty. A few broke me off with my ultralight and 6 pound test so I switched to my bass rod with 12 pound and did much better. These are the biggest skips I have ever seen and they are hungry. The bite is not fast and furious, but with skips this big, a few will go a LONG way.
    Also, there were novices throwing a cast net in the current and they caught some nice sized shad. iF you know how to throw one you can wipe them out.
    There were a few people catfishing but I didn't see any brought in. I heard from a couple of people that some nice ones from the 20's to 40's have been caught this week. If you go, be prepared to get wet. I would not have been able to catch anything staying dry.

I'm taking my skips to Pendleton this weekend. Maybe I can entice the cats with some "out of town bait." I'll keep you posted.

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Thanks for the info 4low. Might have to make a trip over there this weekend. I have a cast net and will take it with me(not that I am any good with it).

3. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I received a call from one of our members that I have not had the oportunity to fish with in a while today. Shep called me and wanted to know if i wanted to try for the skips at Murry tommorow(Sunday).

So, I couldn't turn it down. Myself and skip will be meeting in the parking lot between the dam and the hydro plant at 12 - 12:30 tomorrow to hit the water for skips. We will be fishing from the Bank and seeing what we can do! I will give a report after I get back. Anyone wanting to join us is welcomed to do so.

4. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    How did the skip fishing go?

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Well, Tim. Like you said, the water was flowing over the dike prety good. I waded out to about mid calf and stopped. Never got a hit. Could not reach them with my Ultra-lite. There was some other guys there and they caught a few and gave to me. You was also right about the size. They was some pretty good size skips. I bropught 6 home with me and will have them at Degray this weekend. Shep threw his cast net out, and first thing he gets is a gar. A couple other gars was caught by a few others fishing nearby. I fished for cats while i was there, but never caught anything. There was several others throwing cast nets, but the shad was not there or you could not get to them. The river was pretty high.

6. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Even though you didn't catch any, glad you got some from the others. I hope you catch some biguns this weekend.......

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Thanks Tim. Wish you could make Degray! been a while since I have seen ya. Fact of the Business i think in 2004 at Wilbur D Mills was the last time I saw you.

8. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Yeah Newton, I've been offline for a while. My wife will be out of town from Fri-Tues, so I'll be on Daddy duty with the kids, otherwise I would more than likely be there.
    I'm going back to Murray tomorrow in the boat with my cousin. We're gonna anchor up on the dike and catch some more whoppin skippies. I think if we get more downstream where the "cut" is, we can do much better. Like you said, most of them are just out of reach from the bank. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

9. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    We went after the skips again. This time we took the boat and anchored off the submerged jetty in between the dam and hydro. There's a willow tree about 20 yards in the water from the bank; we got as close as comfortable and dropped anchor, drifted back and tied off. We got started arond 6pm, fished 'til a little after 7 and caught 13 skips that weighed in at 20.2 pounds after drying out in a dry livewell. Actually, we caught 14, the first of which we diced up for catfish bait (but we only weighed the next 13) and casted out with 6oz sinkers. We didn't have a single bite on the skips (surprisingly) but we have a lot of bait to take with us to our place at WDM. All were caught on 1/4 oz jigheads with white curly tail jigs on bass rods with big line. The preferred method is to cast out, let it sink to a "5" count and reel back slowly. Although I prefer skips much smaller, I'll take any I can get. There was nobody fishing from the bank, and the water has dropped enough that you can catch them from there if you want to. Once again, I had to wrap them individually in foil and wrap in plastic before freezing. Get 'em while the gettin's good!!!!!!!!!