skippy help

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by CountryHart, Mar 10, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don't everyone laugh at once but would somebody explain what the heck a skippy is? A pic would be helpful, i may be callin them by another name. Also, where do ya find this magic bait and is it cut up like shad?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Ed. This confirms, I haven't seen one lol. bottom jaw looks similar:confused2: to a bass, deep forked tail like a cat and the body that resembles a drum!!! Glad there are alot of shad where i fish.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, get ahold of Skipeye. I've heard he's the bait expert in your area:eek:oooh::wink::smile2:.

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yeha old skipeye knows his way around baitfish.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm suppose to go with Brandon this spring, maybee him or somebody at the missouri gathering can put me on the right track. Can they be caught in a net? If so, i'm in luck:wink:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Typically they can not be caught in a net. They are extremely fast swimmers and frankly you need a really heavy net to sink that fast. Although I have caught some in a net before, normally really small ones or during the spring when I believe they are spawning.

The best and most fun way to catch them is with rod n reel. I use what is called a sabiki rig to catch them. Sometimes some crappie jigs or small spinners will work as well.

Here is a picture of a Skippy;

[​IMG]

Hope this helps out buddy!

8. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Also known as a Tennesse tarpon, can be rather addicting to catch.

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Yea ole skip is fun to catch

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I assume they are just bait fish? Heck the one in the pic is big enuff to fillet.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yeah, I dont think they are for human consumption :confused2::eek:oooh:

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Another picture of skippy :confused2:

Attached Files:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That is sooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!! Thanks Troy!! I laughed out loud!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Reps to ya for that one!!!

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    That dudes so ugly i don't think even a catfish would eat it.:eek:oooh:

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Yep ol'e skip-eye is the expert from what i hear too!!:cool2::big_smile::eek:oooh:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    John, skipjack will often average different sizes in different areas. Here in central Arkansas, a 2# skippie is considered a lunker; at Pickwick, in the spring, they will average that size. Stripers are also running there in the spring, and it's often difficult to catch skipjack small enough to use as live bait for them.

17. CatFishLips

CatFishLips New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy to my most favorite Fisherman eva. A skippie is half of a yippie skippie dance. Kidding. Im new here and working myself around. Excuse my humor.

Catfishlips

18. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jonh, How far are you from Pickwick? I am planning on going up there pretty soon, and your welcome to meet me there and I will try and help you with your cooler of skips. Skip fishing is like everything else some days are better than others, but I usually catch all I need! Get you some white crappie jigs and some small (1") curley tail grubs and tie the jigs (2-3) about a foot apart and start chunking them out there and keep a tight line and WHAM! Here in Tennessee skips are a PREFERED bait! Shad are also good, but dont seem to freeze as well, or should I say dont seem to thaw as well! They get MUSHY! Hope this helps, once you go skippy fishing and get on them good, your hooked! It's a BLAST!:crazy:

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    An the Skipeye Legacy shall live on................... :smile2:

20. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Everybody, i would like introduce a REALLY good friend. Terry prolly hasn't ever caught a fish but she came here for me. Welcome hun, i'm glad ya made it. Huggs