Skippies @ the steamplant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Jazper, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    How are they doing? anyone know? Tossing the idea of going tomorrow. Just curious.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Which steam plant are you needing to know about?

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    cumberland. Its been years since I've been there, just curious how they are doing? Going to head there tomorrow.

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From what I hear the skips have been pretty good down there for a while now I went a couple of weeks ago and caught a few so you do pretty well.

5. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I'm hoping to catch a ton. I went to KY Dam today and notta. Next weeken is the get together and I am hoping I can take some up with me for those MO boys. LOL...

I hate to think that they wont get any. SO I figured I would run down there tomorrow and stock up for them.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jeremy, I went this past Thurs. morning and caught 40 or so in a couple hours. I believe they've been in there pretty decent for a few weeks. I'll probably try them again next week.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Went to the cumberland steam plant saturday morning and the skipjack are running pretty well, was their from about5:45 to 9:00 and filled half a cooler. Something odd though the water was filled with small gar from 6 to 13 inches long never seen that before.

8. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    thanks everyone for the update, im going to run over to clarksville grab my TN license and head that way.

9. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I filled a bucket up in about 4 hours. They were hit and miss all morning.

I saw a few stripers pulled, nothing of major size though.

I got a few gars the little (***#*. But it was fun.

Really trashy though. It seems the peoples dont care for the fishing area anymore around there. Little disappointed it was not like I remembered six years ago. Anyhow got me some skips.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was catching the same thing in gulf shores alabama last fall, knowbody knows where or what the things are coming from

11. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Sounds like they may be the newest invasive species known as needlefish. They look like gar but are smaller and silver/blue or silver/green. I caught my first in a cast net the other day. It was only a few inches long, but clearly what I had seen posted.

http://www.nalms.org/Publications/NALMSNotes/notes06-01.html

12. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Oh yeah, look near the bottom of the page linked above for a pic of the needlefish.

13. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jon,
    Thanks for sharing this information with us. We can all learn from eachother.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    That sure does look like them. I was out there saturday morning and they were everywhere early on. Skipjack were running good filled up half a cooler.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you can I say throw a net over a school and throw them in the garden as fast as they came in and now there are thousands of them in schools net and make some fertilizer.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    skipps were very thin at cumberland city today .. i got a couple dozen and bill catfish got a few but not like last weekend....