Skippies on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by SkiMax, Jan 30, 2007.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    does anybody know if the skippies are running around Markland? thanks for any info in advance!

2. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    At best I would say that they are swimming.

3. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Excuse my uneducated behind...what the" H " is a skippie?

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind

what he is talking about are skipjacks i dont know if they are running on the ohio river but they were run good down at the steam plant at cumberland city went yesterday an cought around 1 1/2 cooler fulls in about 3 1/2 hours

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They are like a shad except a predator and very very fast. They like clear water and current. The are very oily and therefore BIG blue cats absolutely love them, my favorite bait for big blues.

They school up and run around the dams and we catch them on rigs called Sabiki Rigs and also on crappie jigs, alot of fun to fight and also a great bait! when they run every catfisherman in the area is there trying to catch them because they can be very hard to get at times and are a top notch bait. plus the fight they put up is worth fishing for them alone!

http://www.nicholls.edu/biol-ds/biol348/fishsets/skipjack%20herring.htm

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They kind of look like sardines. How long do they get? I saw Bill Dance catching some about 8 inches on one of his shows. Looked like fun.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    The Ky. state record is 3.10 lb. We have caught them at a local hot water discharge in years past, but this year they have not showed up at all! A fisherman that we talked to behind Markland said that certain areas of the Ohio river had been treated with a pesticide to reduce Zebra muscles, which in turn eliminated numbers of shad that is the primary food for skippies. Has anyone heard about this?

Attached Files:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I can not imagine them using any pesticide on the Ohio River. It is too large of a water supply for many areas and runs into the Mississippi which in turn runs into the ocean so I find it hard to believe

9. Arteest

Arteest New Member

State:
    Illinois by way of Virginia
    I'm heading down to evansville area to try for some cats. i'm driving down from Chicago, gotta get out of this city. anyone who wants to meet up i could sure use some local knowledge. anywhere near there, mainly i just wanna try and catch some cats on the Ohio. Willing to trade yall soem of my artwork for any help. will be heading out tomorrow morning,(thursday) should be down there in about six hours.

dolan