Skippies at Mississippi River L&D 25

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 18, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Spent quite a bit of time looking for bait last night before finally locating them. With the low water all the usual surefire locations were devoid of baitfish.

What finally worked for us? Downstream of the dam you will want to position your boat at the pillar between the second and third tainter gate (the smaller ones) from the Illinois side. Go upstream as far as you are allowed, cut the motor and drift. Repeat as required. You will be in 30-40 ft of water here depending on exactly where you put the boat. I "tightlined" my net and sometimes (but not always) could feel them in it. Then I would close it up on them. When I didn't feel the skippies I just let the net go deep before retrieving. I know you aren't 'supposed' to be able to catch skippies in a net because they are too fast or something but it worked for me. My son tried the Sabiki with no success while I was throwing the net. Go get you some Skippies!

As a SIDE NOTE:

I want to say thank you to the guy in the nice shiny Weld Pro Boat with the Honda Outboard. Now that you have put the FIRST DENT in my new boat, the rest of the dents will come easier. You were my first, I will always remember you. You asked where the bait was so I motioned you over to tell you about the skippies. Read your owners manual, your new shiny boat has REVERSE. Please try this new gear the next time you are about to T-BONE a helpless boat that is at anchor. Really I am over it now, sort of. At least you apologized to me before you motored off into the setting sun.

2. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Darryl sorry to hear about your boat but congrats on finding the skips.Did you do any fishing?If so,how'd ya do.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Ron, we fished for only about an hour and a half. Managed a small Blue but thats it. Got skippies vacuum sealed and in the freezer though.:cool2:

4. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Darryl I have about 50 vacuum sealed myself but you cant ever have too many:wink:

5. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Darryl

Sounds like the same boat that almost hit me and Chris fishing that same spot. I bet it was. Congrats on finding the skips

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well at least the DINGS will come a little easier now (sort of).Still makes you mad though:angry:.Congrads on finding the Skippies.

7. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Oh my goodness, yes. That same boat almost wipes Dustin and I off our anchor rope 3 weeks ago. They guy was almost on top of my Lowe 1920 when I asked him if he was going to start his motor, or just hit me.

Darryl, thanks a TON for telling us how to get skippies there in #25. I had tried 6 times over 4 months, and just decided that they were not there. I will try your method when I am there next. That is a very big help. You get rep points for that from CP.

Sorry about that dent. When he almost hit me, he had 3 guys in the boat and lost his anchor because the not came undone (really, how often does that happen).

CP

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I know the feeling Darryl. Someone rammed my new rig at a tournament last year and left a 3 foot long gouge down the side of my boat. The someone, left the scene, and didnt apologize. Its gonna happen. Glad to hear you have a sense of humor about it. Thx for the skippy heads up.

9. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One of the top 10 rules of getting a new boat...
    When you buy a new boat, the first thing that you are supposed to do is go home, and THWACK that bad boy right in the side with a heavy ball peen hammer!

After that = you never have to worry about getting that first dent, because that has been taken care of, and is out of the way.

(It is also a rule when buying a new truck. I'll put a scratch right down the door so I don't have to worry about it happening.

Cutting off my nose in spite of my face....maybe! :shrug: