Skipjacks

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by John Jennings, Nov 24, 2008.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Can you still catch skipjacks during the cold months or do the go into hiding in deper water? What is the best bait or method of catching skipjacks? I am currently using a small beveled silver spoon and it has worked well in the past but lately not so much! What are some better baits?

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Look up Sabiki Rigs

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree, try Sabiki Rigs or small curly tail jigs. I haven't tried for any lately but reports I've heard is they are still biting pretty good. Good Luck, hope you get a bunch!!!

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Skipjacks hit all year round, caught a couple of nice ones today in the Green river, but they were few and far between. They are hitting better right now at the Newburgh dam but are small there. The bigger ones are hitting chartruese and white curly tail jigs and the smaller ones are being caught on sabiki rigs. Sun up and sun down are the best times to try for them.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer to use a series of lead head jigs, but either technique will work just fine. Good luck skipjacking, it sure is addictive

6. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    You can catch them on bluegill and crappie jigs or small bass lures.. but the cast net catches the most i think

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never had any luck with a net on skipjack. They are to fast. I prefer the jigs.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No cast net luck for me either!!

9. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    As bad as it may sound, I catch them an sabikis where the sewage plants dump into rivers at in the winter. The water seems to be a little warmer there and the skips are fairly easy to catch. Sunup and sundown are best but I've caught plenty in the middle of the day!:big_smile: Oh, and by the way, I've never had any luck with a cast net either.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i think u may have shad and mooneye mixed up..shad school like that and can be taken with net pretty easy but skipjack dont school that close and can out run a net 9 times out of 10!

11. J. Percy Priest

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Oh i bought skipjack at a bait shop and compared them they looked the same.

The ones i was catching in the net, the small ones were about 3 inches long and we use them for bass fishing they look the same as the big ones. The big ones that i am catching are a 10-12 inches. They are silver and dark black with a greenish color mixed in at the sides and the top. with a silver belly. Catch them at night when i throw into a school of small shad when they school in the shallows between the marina and the dock.

I should go take a picture of them so i can see what i am really catching. I will make another post about all the different fish that i am catching so i can get them right..

i dont want the game wardens looking in my bucket and saying oh thats not a skipjack 0_0 they thought my bluegill looked like a bass until they got close last month

Thanks for the help

12. J. Percy Priest

State:
    Murfreesboro TN

13. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It's been a few weeks since my last trip out on the water and I am anxious to say the least. I have spent my time wisely though and have logged in about 4hrs on the BPS and other websites and actually put in 6hrs at the BPS in clarksville, IN. I have invested in several new rods and reels, along with a new supply of terminal tackle and of course the ever popular sabiki rig. I hope to get back on the water soon and hope to catch a few of you at the hawesville tournament in Jan!

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah...it sounds like you may be getting some big shad with the black on them...Skipjacks are silver on the sides with green tops. Not Black. Sabaki rigs or home-made ones will get the job done.:big_smile:

15. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can catch skipjack in a throw net........the conditions just have to be right....It also helps to have a fast sinking net.....but when the water temps. are colder they can be caught in a net.....I also have caught quite a few in a wall basket......sometimes when they want hit anything you throw in early spring....you can break out the net and catch plenty.