Skipjacks

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Apr 1, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I hear of catching and using skipjack for bait in the mississippi river near alton illinois . Does the kaskaskia have skipjack in it ?
    Im not sure i have seen one , maybe i have and know it by another name . Anyway i was wondering if its better then shad and if they are in kaskaskia river or lakes . :006:

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    out of all the years I've fished illinois and indiana rivers i never seen a skipjack. till last year. i caught one on the wabash near cayuga in. the same year i started seeing bighead, and silver carp. coincodence? maybe one day they will migrate up here.

3. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have caught them in the creeks off of the Mississippi, so I am sure they are in the Kaskaskia. They are actually a river herring and will hit crappie jigs. If you see several fish hitting top water it is quite possible they are skipjacks.

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    their in the kaskaskia river down by evanville ,il

5. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I know a couple of guys who fish around the Wabash and Ohio junction and swear catfish will ignore shad if they put out skipjack for bait. They said they have to get into the Ohio, below a dam to get their skipjack bait.

6. hunter70657

hunter70657 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    whats the best time of the year to catch skip jack or can u catch em all year around :cool2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I'm not sure about that area, however once you use them, its hard to go back to anything else.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    skipjacks are some good cat baits

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Skippies are best caught in the spring of the year. Any time from now thru mid may. Fish for them below dams or low water dams. Tie on two crappie jigs about a foot apart. Reel very fast witha stop and go jerking retrieve. Then if you dont catch any vary the retrieve until you start catching them. Usually the faster the water the better, but not always. Try different areas until you find them.

Skip jack are great bait , I like them better than shad. Hope this helps.

10. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Skipjack can be a great bait on the bigger rivers, however, I would still prefer shad on the smaller rivers (Illinois, Rock, Mackinaw, etc.) Having said that, we still try to go to Kentucky Dam every year (around May) to fish and catch skipjack to bring back to Central Illinois. I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing the Mississippi without Skipjack and Shad, as the fish can be quite picky at times.

11. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    i'm actually from Alton, Illinois...and i know a whole bunch of guys that swear by them.....but i have only used them once and it did absolutely nothing for me....i used a looper octopus and dipped it in a can of sonny's original...and killed em all day and night...caught about 15....none under 3#...biggest was about 13#...i literally had a pole with jack on him right next to the stink pole...and the jack was still there after about 7 hours....i was so busy with the stinky that i forgot all about the jack....i dunno...like i say...people around this part of the big mississipi love them jacks....i don't have any use for em.....

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i love the skippies ... around my area the best time to catch them is summer and early fall.