Skipjacks

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by ronlyn239, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Does anyone know of a good place to go here in NE OK to catch Skipjacks?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It will be march-april before they migrate back in>:big_smile:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This time of year, the best place to will find them is in the warm-water outlet at a power plant.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Ron,

The closest you will find any skipjacks would be in the Arkansas River. I know there's some guys that have been catching more lately below Keystone dam because of all the flooding last year but the majority of skipjacks will really only be found in the Navagation channel. Lock and Dam's 14, 15 (Kerr Lake) and 16 (Webbers falls). There's a few that get into L D 17 but not too many. I've never caught any in L @ D 18. When there's good current running in the Arkansas river there's quite a few that head up from the three rivers area by Muskogee and make it up to Keystone dam. That being said you won't find skipjack in any lakes here in NE Okla only in the river system of the Arkansas.

5. Punkinsdad

Punkinsdad New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They aren't in the Lower Illinois right now. I attempted two weeks ago.

6. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    alot has been said on freezing skipjack.I am still using skippys that i froze from last spring.Nothing fancy,wrapped in wal mart bags,tie em off and throw them in the freezer.We cosistantly catch more blue cats at the local honey hole than those using other baits.So this spring when you are sandbass or crappie fishin,throw them skipjacks in the basket and freeze them for next fall and winter,you wont regret it.There is a place in Little Rock that sells frozen skipjack for $3.50 a pound!!! maybe i should go in the skipjack business.The store is hatchet jacks,not to far from murray lock and dam.hope this helps and good cat huntin to ya!