Skipjacks

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Whistler, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone having any luck yet at the Cumberland City steamplant for skipjacks? Might have a chance to get out next weekend and thought I'd check with you all first.

2. festus

festus New Member

I think Sgt. Redneck said earlier in the week there were some skipjack down there.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, I drove up there Sat. evening and they were not in there at all. There were a couple guys throwing a castnet and coming up with a few small shad. And the water is pretty low. Hopefully they'll come in soon.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Low water makes skipjack fishing terrible, you can pretty much hang it up.. but when the waters rising or up they are back hitting good.

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    OH water levels are just about back to normal....yee haaww

6. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Bryan Im gonna try and get up there over the weekend and check em out.Ill post back.It should be close to time shouldnt it?

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks all. We have been hunting more than fishing so I thought I'd see what everyone's been doing. AJ, I've been fishing for them a long time now. During the summer months if they are releasing water we can catch them by the boatload at Cheatham Dam. Night, day, low or high water we find them there. But that water has to be moving and shad has to be present. During winter months it seems like the temperature of the main river gets cold and they move up into the outlet at the steam plant. They are after the shad that congregate in the warmer water coming off the turbines there. Water level never has seemed to make much difference, just the temps of the two different bodies of water and whether or not there is lot's of current. I've caught them in creeks, along the banks of the river during a shad hatch. And then there are times when they just don't do anything like we think they ought to. LOL Everything seems right, but they are AWOL. Hmmm....just like catfish for us! LOL Anyway, once you start thinking you know all about them, they'll darn sure prove you wrong. I just go on my own experience with them. Sure do hope they are there Saturday morning right about daybreak. Cause we will be there waitin on em. LOL

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The skips are there oneday and the nexy day they are not. Have not been there in the past 3 days. Hope you have some luck.

9. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Was at the steamplant today and the skips were in there pretty thick. One of those days where you get one or two on almost every cast. They were just alittle deeper from the surface though.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anybody check out the skips today. I hope they are in there. I know everyone has been waiting on them.

11. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    I was there up in the morning a little while and there were a few but not thick.Only one stack working.I plan to go several times later in the week.

12. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i need to make a trip quick i am out , let me know and maybe we can meet up

13. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    If someone could let me know if later this week is good, I will make a 5 hour drive to fish for some Skipjack. I know it will be a gamble, but I would like to get about 10 - 20 more Skipjack for the Christmas break. The plant shuts down two weeks where I work, and I plan to do some serious fishing.

If somebody would like to meet up down there, Cumberland City Steam Plant?, that would be great. Maybe meet for breakfast, or lunch too. Any good places to eat nearby?

Oh, can you catch them from the bank, or do you need a boat?

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is actually best to fish from the bank for the skips near the steam plant.

15. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i am ready let me know when?

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I haven't been to cumberland city but I do know that the walk in access to the one Gallitin has closed due to 9-11. I hope that someone will post and answer your question before you drive down from st.louis

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Cumberland City is a great place to bank fish for skips, you can also fish it from a boat, but a boat isn't necessary.

18. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I plan to watch the weather this week. And if the weather is good, preferably sunny, I think I'll make a run for it down to Cumberland City. Friday for a.m. and p.m. fishing, or Saturday a.m. and p.m.

It is, Cumberland City, TN correct?

19. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Dennis it is Cumberland City Tn.Its a real small place.Im about 11/2 hr from there south and will be watching weather also.I plan to go a couple times this week and will be in touch later in the week.If your coming that far and hoping for 10-20 skipjack I will almost guarantee you can catch that many.Heck Ive got a few in the freezer and Ill give you that many.I like a man thats serious.:big_smile:

20. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Sonny,

I appreciate the help, and please let me know how you do?

I looked at the weather today, and does not look to bad. Although, things can change drastically by end of week. I am hoping Friday and/or Saturday are good.